Home center recommendation

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
Tora

Home center recommendation

Post by Tora »

We are making a rare trip to Kobe and I want to visit a home center to check out some options for our renovation. The home centers aren't so great in Tokushima- Thelocal Konan-Pro is so so.

Which is your favorite chain for home building/repair supplies. I specifically want to look at fasteners, structural ties/anchors, sinks, toilets, shikkui (wall plaster), subfloor support, etc. More structural/functional than decorative at this point so a store with a good selection of professional level supplies would be best.

It would be great if anybody had recommendations for the best home center in the Tarumi/Kita Kobe area. There's a Caine, Konan, and Royal Home Center near where we're headed.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Home center recommendation

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I can't help you with home centres outside of our local area but our favourite is probably Joyful Honda. Their stores tend to be huge and have a vast array of products, their building/DIY sections are enormous and very well stocked. I bought all the joist bolts/anchors and hangers there when constructing our workshop/packing shed.

Cainz Home super centres are also very good, they are much larger than normal Cainz Home stores and have a very well stocked building/DIY section, we got our cement mixer there when pouring a foundation slab for our cold room.

Newly opened near us is Power Komeri, these are much larger than normal Komeri stores and also have generously stocked building sections. In terms of size Power Komeri stores are probably on par with Cainz super centres.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

I would go to all three to be honest.
Out of the 3 I think Royal has more non run of the mill items, but that is just my opinion.

Tora

Post by Tora »

Thank you. We were planning to go this weekend but it looks like a typhoon is going to be doing its thing all over our plans.

I guess I now have a couple more weeks to make mor thourough plans.

Tora

Post by Tora »

After our exciting trip to Big City I thought I'd report back on this.

The Cainz left me wanting. It seemed like it was oriented toward home owners in the large housing developments surrounding it. No surprise there. More stuff to patch a little paint or make a little project in the corner of your kitchen or garden.

We also stopped tha Royal Pro home center that we chanced by and that was pretty well stocked even if it felt cramped. Almost overwhelmingly so. I would have been there for a while if the wife and kid hadn't been nagging me about lunch. Don't they know they can eat anywhere but it'll be a long time til I can visit such an accumulation of tools and other supplies?! It's great if you know what you need or want to see what is available but might be overwhelming for the inexperienced or even dangerous if you have a credit card and a little imagination.

Thanks for the feedback.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Not very good for browsing but if you already know what you want so of these might be useful

Komeri

Joyful Honda

Monotaro

Monotaro covers just about everything and has a massive range, Mrs Nouka even got her gas mask and replacement filter cans from there.

Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan »

Zasso Nouka wrote:... Mrs Nouka even got her gas mask and replacement filter cans from there.
Maybe you should stop eating so many beans Zasso...
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Eric in Japan wrote:Maybe you should stop eating so many beans Zasso...
Beans and cabbage can be a terrible combination :lol:

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

I think thats awesome, my missus can empathise!!

Tora

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:Not very good for browsing but if you already know what you want so of these might be useful

Komeri

Joyful Honda

Monotaro

Monotaro covers just about everything and has a massive range, Mrs Nouka even got her gas mask and replacement filter cans from there.
Thanks. Monotaro has a great selection but poor descriptions/details sometimes. Also, I think I know what I need but I often don't know the name in Japanese.... gotta love jargon.

I'd really love to find a way to order larger quantities of things like insulation with a corresponding discount ;) . My architect acquaintances tell me this is not possible although a remodel carpenter guy I know says "there are places" but you gotta be a member or "know a guy" or something like that. Andbody have advice or experience or advice on ordering in quantity? I guessing I'll need 100 or more sheets of styrofoam insulation for the floors and ceilings (half of which should be the more expensive pink stuff for the ceilings and underside of the roof where I took out the existing ceilings.