When things don't go as planned or simple ideas gone wrong.

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
CYEK

When things don't go as planned or simple ideas gone wrong.

Post by CYEK »

The idea was to get some roasted chickens from costco (Gunma) plus a few supplies and a large Christmas cake.
Also had a business meeting at 5 pm and when that finishes drive back to Iwate. So the idea was buy cake and chicken early but leave with staff until all shopping done.

Costco opened at 8.30 instead of usual 9am and we quickly got the cake and a few supplies. Left the cake with staff and decided to have hot dogs as a late breakfast early lunch. As I walked past the chickens there were 5 or 6 there and I thought I would grab some fresh ones after eating. This was at 9.30. Went back at about 10.15 and there is a long line waiting for chickens and a staff member informing those waiting that their chickens would be ready at 3.50 but if you want chicken legs only then the wait is 35 minutes. The kids had fun playing with the toys and reading books all day whilst I drooled over some of the tool cases and kitchen appliances. Also go to catch up with the boss of costco who opened up the first costco in Japan in Fukuoka and hired my friend who is the longest serving foreigner working in costco in Japan. He gave me the good news that costco will open up in Sendai only an hour away from us so shorter trips for shopping. Eventually got our chickens, had our meeting and back to friends place to see his new house for getting back in the car and heading off at 9pm. Finally arrive home at 2.30am after leaving 2 days before at 6pm.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Re: When things don't go as planned or simple ideas gone wrong.

Post by gonbechan »

Oh wow, I know Costco chickens are good, but that was a lot of effort.
If we have some big things we need from Costco, we usually buy dishwasher liquid, laundry detergent and kitchen paper all at the same time, then we will get a couple of chickens.
Normally though we get some frozen chickens from http://kingmart.jp/ . (specifically chicken page is http://kingmart.jp/?p=1.0.2.3.1.105.0.0.25.1 )
I prefer my own seasoning to be honest, but at a push will enjoy Costo's chickens.
BTW that link is great for meat too.

CYEK

Post by CYEK »

gonbechan, good link, thanks. Original plan was costco Yamagata but business meeting changed all that. It all worked out well in the end and chickens were delicious. Thinking of just trying legs or quarters next year with turkey as well. Have a few birthdays to get enough practice in before hand to finalize menu as looking to change it again. The youtube garlic bread/toast loaf turned out well and was a surprise addition this year instead of a french stick/baquet with garlic. Any links to some nice xmas puddings?

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

For pudding and soup and custard and marmitey needs I shop here http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/
They have canned xmas puddings which are not bad at all.
Their shipping is very reasonable. You get a box, and as you shop it tells you how much percent full it is. It requires quite a bit of shopping to fill.
If you try to fill it with things like chocolates and snacks, you will spend a fortune there haha.
I usually order tin soups and custard powder, sometimes gravy powder etc. We usually do about 1 or 2 buys a year.
Of course I always get Tunnock's tea cakes. I absolutely love them.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Truth be told I've often found Costo's prices to be higher than places like Gyomu or Hanamasa or other cash & carry shops. Also a lot of the meat has very high levels of growth promoting hormones and antibiotics and the chickens are fast grown broilers often lacking in texture and flavour. Metro on the other hand have lots of Australian and New Zealand raised meat which is free range and free from growth promoting hormones, also Metro has a really good cheese section with proper Emmental, Gruyere cheese along with some other excellent choices and their wine section is second to none.

CYEK

Post by CYEK »

The other places may have cheese that I don't eat and wine that I don't drink BUT do they have delicious hot dogs with onions and sauerkraut or Hokkaido soft ice cream? Costco is cheap in some products and dearer in others but they do have quite a few things I like including pinesol for cleaning and oats/porridge for breakfast.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I forgot you don't eat cheese. I must confess I don't eat hot dogs, inedible nuggets of sinew and gristle leavened with a smattering of fat. I do like a lot of the non food stuff Costo has, specially in the 'tools' section. Got a great stool for my workbench and have often looked at their wheeled tool drawers.

CYEK

Post by CYEK »

ZN, you have to try a costco hot dog. will definitely change your mind. they also have smoked garlic brautwurst.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Smoked bratwurst you say ? Now that could tempt me

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

It is not real bratwurst as in Made in Germany, but a wienie flavoured to act like one.

Personally I am not a hotdog fan and would rather have some good salchichas or choriso with some chimichurri in a mini baguette. (Which is exactly what I had for lunch today, so watch out for my garlic fumes)