A wood store for around 50,000 - 60,000円

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
KumamotoHunter

Re: A wood store for around 50,000 - 60,000円

Post by KumamotoHunter »

It looks like you are using softwood there, though I may be mistaken. Is that really a good idea in a wood stove? I use only Japanese oak and chestnut in mine.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

KumamotoHunter wrote:It looks like you are using softwood there, though I may be mistaken. Is that really a good idea in a wood stove? I use only Japanese oak and chestnut in mine.
It largely depends on your stove, modern clean burning stoves can handle sugi and hinoki pretty well as they combust much of the tars inside the firebox so long as the wood is well dried. They can even handle less than optimally dried softwood, albeit with some extra cleaning of the chimney.

As we are surrounded by forests of sugi and hinoki that is what we have access to the most and we get as much as we can take from the local lumber yards, they are happy to deliver it by the truck load to get rid of their waste wood. We tend to burn the softwood in the early evening and then fill the stove with hard wood as we got to bed for an over night burn and then refill in the morning with softwood again.

One other thing that helps is about once a week we use Rutland creosote remover (you can get it from your local stove shop or Amazon Japan) to convert any resin in the chimney into a non flammable state.

KumamotoHunter

Post by KumamotoHunter »

Many thanks for your reply and tip about the Rutland product. I will definitely be buying some of that. Do you buy the powder and scoop it in or do you buy the sticks/tubes which you just throw in the fire?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

No worries, we buy a tub of the powder and it lasts us a whole winter, quite often longer. A single scoop once a week when the fire has died down to red hot coals and that turns any creosote into a flaky dry deposit that is really easy to clean off when you sweep the chimney.

Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan »

KumamotoHunter wrote:It looks like you are using softwood there, though I may be mistaken. Is that really a good idea in a wood stove? I use only Japanese oak and chestnut in mine.
I burn whatever people give me. All wood has the same energy/kg of dry matter. Sugi and hinoki are just gopher wood. As in "I'm burning cedar so I have to go 'fer wood more often."
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"