Pest control

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
Jesse

Pest control

Post by Jesse »

So lately I have been reading some not so pleasant experiences of rural Japan residents dealing with "extra family members" who may or may not have been invited. Usually, these unexpected guests tend to come in the form of cockroaches or mukade, among others. I was wondering how much of an issue they are for you all, and do you have any surefire or effective prevention methods to separate them from your home and keep them in theirs (the great outdoors)?

CYEK

Re: Pest control

Post by CYEK »

You left out the snakes as extra family members and not the ones you can pick up. One friend of mine was so tired of finding snakes around the edge of the house and in his garden he decided to concrete the whole area. Now on any nice sunny day he gets to see plenty of them sunning themselves. I try to keep the area around the house rubbish and weed free with nothing stacked up against the house either. Regular sweeping on a daily basis tends to help also but leave the cobwebs.

Jesse

Post by Jesse »

I'm sure the spiders are on our side. CYEK, do you also have issues with snakes in your neck of the woods? How about the other bugs?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Mukade and gejigeji eat gokiburi apparently so may not be all bad but you don't want to wake up to find one crawling across your face as the bite is really painful.

Simple options are the -85C freezing spray and one of those electric anti mosquito tennis rackets available from most home centres, that way you aren't spraying any nasty chemicals around. You can also Barusan (smoke bomb) your house during autumn but I'm not so sure how good the toxins in there are for you as you will totally and utterly wipe out all insect life in your house with them but if you really have to it's always an option.

For the cockroaches you can sticky cockroach houses, they go in after bait but can't get out or you can get Black Cap's that have a poisoned bait. Personally I prefer the cockroach houses as at the end of the season you just chuck them in the burnable rubbish and get rid of all the cockroaches at the same time rather than finding dead cockroaches all around the house that got poisoned by the black caps.

Here in Chiba we only have two types of poisonous snakes to worry about and as CYEK says keep the outside of your house free from clutter and you probably won't see them. They keep rats and mice under control so do have a plus side.

Kamemushi can be a pain in the autumn when they come inside the house looking for somewhere to hibernate. When you disturb them they stink really bad, currently our new kitten has taken to hunting them down inside the house and often she smells of kamemushi :shock:

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Also putting the drain cover on in the kitchen at night, keeping the food trap in there clean too helps.
goes without saying all other drains in the house.. put a plug in it.
I think by far that is the most common entry route for mukade and gokiburi.

And as Zasso says.. the cryogenic -85C spray is the dog's bollocks.. You can also use it for speed cooling canned beverages in summer time :dance:
Just DO NOT SPRAY your fingers.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

gonbechan wrote:You can also use it for speed cooling canned beverages in summer time :dance:
Top life hack :clap:

Is it ok on Chu-Hi ?

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

I am sure it would be.
I have wrapped damp kitchen paper around a can of juice and then zapped it with the freeze spray when we were first moving in and had nothing cold.
It worked a treat.