Yamaga Kominka

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
xxxxtom

Yamaga Kominka

Post by xxxxtom »

Well after getting the keys today I thought I would post a picture of the house to get the ball rolling. This is a photo I took of a framed photo that is in the house. It was taken about 30 years ago . Nothing much has changed with the house except it's not a functioning farmhouse at the moment. The right side of the house has 5 rooms, 2x8 tatami and 3 timber floored rooms. The left is all barn and stables . I guess a good thing about the barn is that it is structurely all built as one with the house with massive timber beams flowing through the whole roofline which would make it easy to expand the living area one day. There is an attic above the entrance with 2 rooms perfect for a master bedroom/ study etc.
The old solar hot water system on the roof has been upgraded since then.The electrics are a bit average I'll post a picture soon . You can see it has a large formal garden in the front which is pretty much the same except more mature. It's termite free as I have a report from 12 months ago.
The terraced land behind the house is still owned by the original family ( we have 998m2) . I haven't even met these people but you never know they may want to sell one day .
Cheers
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (34.66 KiB) Viewed 1101 times

Ian

Re: Yamaga Kominka

Post by Ian »

A big congratulations on your new home xxxxtom!
Looking forward to seeing more pics and hearing about the kominka.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Congratulations! Looks like you have an impressive formal garden as well as a very handsome house.

BrettRas

Post by BrettRas »

Congrats! Looking forward to future posts!

donguri

Post by donguri »

Excellent! More pictures please!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

What an awesome house Tom, so many possibilities with that space, you guys must be really chuffed to finally have it. Well worth the wait.

Would love to see the inside when you have the time to spare.

CYEK

Post by CYEK »

looking good. a word of warning about the termite certificate. if more than 3 months old get a 2nd one done asap and make sure it is a comprehensive one. if you have the time pull up all the floor boards, tatami etc and do your own inspection for trails. looking forward to catching up next time lm down that way.

xxxxtom

Post by xxxxtom »

So far so good , except the draughty.
CYEK I took your advice and lifted all the tatami and crawled around under the house apart from some running repairs over the years it looks ok.When lifting the mats found these slats not sure what it is maybe it used to be a trap door?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (22.42 KiB) Viewed 1061 times

BrettRas

Post by BrettRas »

Is it walled off like a compartment around the edges under the slats?? If so, looks like you've found yourself a 堀コタツ Hori kotatsu. Theres likely space for a hibachi down there, put some charcoal in and a nice table and kotatsu blanket over the top and youve a nice warm spot in the winter! At least thats what it looks like from the small picture i'm seeing on my phone. :)

xxxxtom

Post by xxxxtom »

Thanks Brett , that makes sense and yes there is a frame under the house .The ceiling material is modern so if I remove if I'll probably find some evidence. Also meet our neighbour a 85 year old lady yesterday who was born in the house so will be able to confirm it.
Cheers