The Simple Life Diet and WORKOUT thread!!

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
paradoxbox

Re: The Simple Life Diet and WORKOUT thread!!

Post by paradoxbox »

Replace the carbs with meat or delicious vegetables.

Tomatoes are alright in moderation - they're surprisingly high in sugar but as long as you limit yourself.

Don't forget to do strength training, if you lose weight without doing enough exercise, things will start to sag pretty badly.

Good luck with the diet! You'll be surprised at how many kg come off at the start, I'd bet you'll lose something like 10kg in the first two weeks, but it will plateau for a while after that so keep with it!

Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan »

Ok, you guys have inspired me! :D
According to my fancy pants bathroom scale this morning:
106.4 Kg (or as my son says .1064 tons)
36.1 BMI
31.6% fat
69 Kg muscle mass
17 visceral fat level (whatever that means, Kg or % or something else)
"The body of a 50 year old" :oops:

made a spreadsheet to help me track.
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Natto omelette for breakfast :shock: Steady on old chap :lol:

I just went for a more prosaic chicken fried in butter with a topping of maitake.

paradoxbox

Post by paradoxbox »

Good on both of you for posting your stats up here! Now you can't escape, the weight must come down!

Eggs are a lifesaver during hardcore dieting. Figure out a bunch of new ways to cook eggs. I was eating 4 - 6 of them a day during my biggest period of weightloss.

I'll post up some recipes in the cooking forum next time I buy eggs for some delicious scrambled eggs that use rakkyo or chive leaves.

Eric, the visceral fat level is probably talking about internal organ fat which is never good. You want to get that down to around 6-10ish.

Now that you're both started, don't worry too much about the daily scale readings, take a true measurement once or twice per week to get your real progress.

Ingesting any kind of salt (shoyu, other salty foods) can cause huge fluctuations in water weight, don't pay attention to those. If you cut salt for 2 or 3 days you can drop 5kg overnight but it means nothing, so just be aware of this if you have a sudden extreme drop or increase in weight - it's salt induced water weight.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Looking forward to some eggy recipes when you get some time Paradoxbox.

Eric, inspired by your omelette breakfast I had omelette this morning and it was a lot better than just plain fried meat, think it will become a staple breakfast item. Thank you.

xxxxtom

Post by xxxxtom »

Keep up the good work boys. As Paradoxbox said exercise is important. A few years ago I set myself a little goal. I did one push-up , the following day I did two and so on the goal was 54 my age at the time. I now do 45 every day 10 less than my age and every now and then when I am feeling strong go all the way to 55.
Not sure if that's your thing if so good luck.
Cheers

paradoxbox

Post by paradoxbox »

Vinegar to increase satiation is a fantastic technique!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Weighed myself this morning and I've shed a whole two kilos, might not seem like much but that is the first time since coming to Japan that my weight has gone down.

It seems quite incredible that a high fat diet low in carbohydrates actually helps you loose weight, when you see your breakfast swimming in butter in the fry pan you really wouldn't think that is going to help you shed weight. Quite the opposite in fact but it does.

Serious question here, when at events selling there aren't always low carb options so I was wondering if it would be better to say eat some karage or other deep fried chicken rather than eating something that comes with rice, pasta or bread for lunch ?

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

you might be better off taking a little bento with you.
Some hunks of cheese, a couple of boiled eggs, maybe some leftover meat from the day before.
In a pinch I would say you could go with fried chicken but I would pick off the batter wherever possible.

paradoxbox

Post by paradoxbox »

Congrats!

Considering your starting weight I would say you could probably lose an additional 8kg over the next 2-3 weeks before it starts slowing down, so keep going!

I would strooooooooongly advise you to reconsider even going to a matsuri where you'll be pressured to eat food that breaks your diet.

If you are not absolutely POSITIVE that you can reject any diet breaking foods, it is easier to just not go.

If you have been truly sticking to a no-carb diet plan for the past week, your body will have converted from using carbohydrate energy into burning fat as energy. If you go and eat a piece of karaage you'll undo everything you worked for over the past week. Even a small amount will destroy the progress. Don't do it! Not worth it! Stick it out.

Safe matsuri items would be something like yakitori (shio) or beef cubes without any sauce on them, fish as long as it has not been dredged in katakuriko (it often is so watch out). Almost all juices, carbonated beverages incl. beer, wine, etc. are totally OUT, at least in the initial phase of the diet.

Once your initial extreme weight loss tapers off you can consider little bits of karaage every once in a while, but now is definitely not the time for it.

As for my stats:
Weight, no change, but my body fat % is down to 19% (From 22% I think) and muscles around my whole body are visibly getting bigger. Pretty happy with the progress so far this week. I will probably start shedding weight sometime this month as the muscles get bigger and bigger.