Let's Talk Termites

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
donguri

Re: Let's Talk Termites

Post by donguri »

Update:

We were back out at the kominka a couple days ago and able to get a better look and feel of the pictured tubes. Seems they are not termites after all. When poking at them there is no crumbling, nothing sandy, in fact, they were pretty tough to destroy. No critters and no apparent wood munching either. A local tradesman said that they are not termites, but he wasn't sure what they are. They'll be investigating more when they go up in the ceilings, today, hopefully.
BrettRas wrote: Those look more like the little sacks left behind from metamorphosis of another insect. I'm not sure which it is, but it seems to like to make those little tube-like things in tight gaps like that. I have seen them many times. Especially along ceiling boards just like in the photos. Did you poke/pull at them? If they are silky/cottony like cocoons inside, then I'd say that is what you are looking at. They may have other dirt/wood bits stuck to the outside of the silk as well.
So Brett, you may be right with your assessment.

BrettRas

Post by BrettRas »

Glad to hear they aren't termites. Hopefully things look good above the ceiling as well!

donguri

Post by donguri »

BrettRas wrote:Glad to hear they aren't termites. Hopefully things look good above the ceiling as well!
Yes, all clear! Just some dust and big old wood beams. No evidence of anyone chewing anything or taking up residence up there. After my experiences with removing all sorts of crap and dead things from the ceilings of our cabin in the woods it was a most welcome sight!

BrettRas

Post by BrettRas »

Excellent, that's good news!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Yes, absolutely awesome news. Whilst it might not have been a total deal breaker at least you can move ahead now knowing that is one problem you aren't going to have to deal with.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Huzzah for the no termites.
Looking forward to hearing as things progress with your adventure.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama »

What’s the best way to protect from termites?

3 months ago when we had a thorough inspection done there were no signs of termites in or under the house. However, there were termites in one of the sheds, and there’s always bound be plenty around in japan, but with all this wet weather, I’ve seen A LOT of ant and termite activity recently around the yard. So I’m getting nervous about the house now and want to nip anything in the bud.

I’m most worried about the foundations, though the house is built on a concrete base there are some cracks. Can I treat the wood?

For the shed with some termite activity in there already, is there a way of killing existing termites to prevent further damage?

Would you recommend a professional to get it done properly?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Apparently if you paint boric acid (ホウ酸) on to wood that will kill them when they eat the wood and diatomaceous earth will kill just about any insect it comes in contact with if you are thinking of having a go yourself in the shed.

For your house you can get wood treatments you paint on yourself from most large home centres. I think these are most effective if there isn't already an infestation as it will only coat the surface of the wood stopping new infestations gettting a foothold. I know you can get baited traps for ants that will kill the queen and Techno Corporation has traps for termites plus lots of options to try including wood treatments. Once you know a product name you might find it cheaper elsewhere on the net.

Zakiyama

Post by Zakiyama »

I've heard, but haven't tried, that if you eliminate the humid environment, the termites will move along.
An old house, we bought mostly for the land, has termites under the floor. It was suggested to pull up the floor boards for a while and dry it out underneath. Not sure if it would work or how long it would take.

Also in answer to the original post: looks like the work of mud daubers, docile solitary wasps that build mud tubes and fill them with spiders for their larva.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama »

Thanks very much - will have a go with the boric acid in the shed. I'll see in regards to the house. I'm not sure I have the patience to spend long periods of time in the crawlspace painting the foundations.