Hot Dates!

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
Eric in Japan

Hot Dates!

Post by Eric in Japan »

About 2 months ago, the family went to a mall, and I killed some time wandering around Kaldi Coffee. I saw a packet of dates for 200 or so yen, and decided to try them. Quite nice. I then immediately wondered if I could plant the seed and grow a date palm. Turns out it is easy as can be!
Soak the seeds for a few days, changing the water frequently. Then sandwich the seeds between damp paper towels in a ziplock bag. Put it in a warm spot (I chose behind our desktop computer) and 4-8 weeks later, 90% had roots coming out!

I planted them in pots, put the pots in a box with a clear plastic lid, and am keeping them near the woodstove.
I know I probably won't get fruit, but it's a fun experiment!
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Hot Dates!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

That's awesome Eric,

I really didn't know you could grow dates bought from a supermarket. I kind of imagined that whatever process they go through would have killed the seeds but that just goes to show it's possible. Do you think these would survive outside or are they more of an indoor plant ?

Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan »

Zasso Nouka wrote: Do you think these would survive outside or are they more of an indoor plant ?
Wikipedia states that
"Date Palm (Phoenix dactylifera) – This relative of the Canary Island date palm, and producer of the edible date, is also hardy to about −11 °C (12 °F), but does not tolerate very wet areas. This palm is one of the staple plants of the Middle East for its versatility and edible fruit"

So maybe? If you have some well drained soils.

I think I will put a couple in the greenhouse, a few on an embankment, a few on mounds of mountain sand, and a couple against a rock wall.
If they all fail due to cold or wet.... well, I'm out 200 yen.
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

They are surprisingly hardy, I'd never have thought they could go that low, specially when you consider what type of climate they normally grow in.

You've inspired me to give some a go now when I next see them in a supermarket.