Drones

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
edmundedgar

Re: Drones

Post by edmundedgar »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:32 pm
That's exactly what has happened in the UK, some imbeciles wanted to protest about Gatwick airport and shut it down for several days ruining many other folk's holidays and travel plans and then suddenly the drone laws get tightened up and everyone has to register their drone :doh:
That was a weird case, it's not entirely clear that the drones ever existed. Somebody reported seeing a drone, then other people heard the reports of a drone and reported that they saw something too, but nobody got any video footage, and the people the police arrested got released and paid compensation after it turned out they had no connection to it and had been reported by a neighbour with a grudge. It also seemed like many of the later reports may have been of people seeing drones used by the police to look for the original, possibly non-existent, unauthorized drone.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Pizza and a McDonald's delivery would be sweet, although that's another job taken from a human. It's inevitable for delivery work, same with farming, all going to be done by robots or drones in the future I'm sure.

The whole Drone racing reminds me of games like F-Zero X and Wipeout with some of the track layouts. I love it.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:49 pm
It's inevitable for delivery work, same with farming, all going to be done by robots or drones in the future I'm sure.
Truck driving is probably another job that will quickly get taken over by self driving vehicles and personally I can't wait for an extra pair of hands on the farm as I get older. It would be awesome to have something automated doing a lot of the mundane jobs like weeding and harvesting leaving humans to concentrate on the more interesting tasks and allowing single farmers to boost productivity enormously.
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:49 pm
The whole Drone racing reminds me of games like F-Zero X and Wipeout with some of the track layouts. I love it.
To really enjoy it you need a set of vr goggles and then it looks a real hoot. Would be totally awesome to be able to play your own version of Wipeout.

@edmundedgar didn't the police actually admit there might not have been a drone ? Can't remember exactly but they might have said something along those lines later on. However I do remember some of the protestors saying they intended to fly drones around the airport and that was a pretty irresponsible thing to say that may have made staff at the airport overly vigilant. DJI drones have no fly zones built into the software so they won't take off if you are in restricted airspace but many cheaper drones don't.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

On the one sunny day we've had recently managed to get the drone up and do an overflight of our farm
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Still got a lot to learn about taking cinematic footage with the drone rather than just flying it around to check the state of crops or other things.

Otona Cream Pie

Drones

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

I already miss sunny SoCal weather....
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
My Skydio 2 drone with AI training wheels is pretty easy to use. Bonus points for PSE and Japanese certification marks already on it even though they don't sell these here. I swore I read we have to register these things here but now I can't find where I read that or how to do it. Any advice?

The just released a new version (just my luck!!) but this is what I have:

Not cheap but you can set it to track you and let it do it's only flying for you which is pretty impressive and useful

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Drones

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Nice drone :dance: So many swimming pools :eek:. The mountains look really nice, are they always near in California ?

At the moment Japan has some of the most liberal drone laws in the world. So long as no one does anything stupid then hopefully it will stay that way. Currently you don't have to register your drone and they are even thinking of allowing out of line of sight flying ( to enable inspection of power cables and infrastructure up in the mountain).

There is a link somewhere in this thread but you can't fly a drone legally in any of the big cities without permission and you can't fly over people or near airports (that one is fairly obvious). Max height is around 150 metres in most places but up in the mountains I think you might be able to go to 200 metres above ground level.

Does your drone have onboard 'No Fly Zone' maps ? DJI drones won't take off if you are inside a no fly zone which is quite handy.

Otona Cream Pie

Drones

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:05 pm
Nice drone :dance: So many swimming pools :eek:. The mountains look really nice, are they always near in California ?
In that area, always visible in the background. That's an area I want to buy a rental property... google "Lake Arrowhead" and prepare the drool rag.
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:05 pm
At the moment Japan has some of the most liberal drone laws in the world. So long as no one does anything stupid then hopefully it will stay that way. Currently you don't have to register your drone and they are even thinking of allowing out of line of sight flying ( to enable inspection of power cables and infrastructure up in the mountain).

There is a link somewhere in this thread but you can't fly a drone legally in any of the big cities without permission and you can't fly over people or near airports (that one is fairly obvious). Max height is around 150 metres in most places but up in the mountains I think you might be able to go to 200 metres above ground level.

Does your drone have onboard 'No Fly Zone' maps ? DJI drones won't take off if you are inside a no fly zone which is quite handy.
Yeah, I checked that link, seems like the registration suggestion years ago never came to be. You're right about the lax laws, FAA license is now required in the US :shock: I can set the height ceiling quite easily (I can't imagine that's enforceable though? Do the boys in blue carry 150m long measuring tapes? :lol: ) but I'm not sure the no fly zone blocks are a thing. "Big cities" is sooo vague it's soooo Japanese. I suppose don't be a jerk and you should be good applies here.

I bought their "beacon" and range extending controller to get the most out of it. So far I really like it but I really need to drive out some place I can fully enjoy it. Got a lot of strange looks launching off my balcony here in the tama :lol:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Drones

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I think there's a link in this thread somewhere to DJI's online "No Fly Zones" that you can use, if not I'll try and dig it out.
Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:14 am
I can set the height ceiling quite easily (I can't imagine that's enforceable though? Do the boys in blue carry 150m long measuring tapes? :lol: )
It's mainly to avoid accidents with helicopters, to be honest there isn't much reason to be above 150m but all it takes is a couple of reports from helicopter pilots sighting drones above the legal height and suddenly drones are heavily restricted like in the US and UK.

Here is the DJI page DJI Geo Map
Otona Cream Pie wrote:
but I'm not sure the no fly zone blocks are a thing. "Big cities" is sooo vague it's soooo Japanese. I suppose don't be a jerk and you should be good applies here.
So far the government seems to be trusting folk to do the right thing but it doesn't take many people going against the rules to ruin the hobby for everyone
Otona Cream Pie wrote:
I bought their "beacon" and range extending controller to get the most out of it. So far I really like it but I really need to drive out some place I can fully enjoy it. Got a lot of strange looks launching off my balcony here in the tama :lol:
Be careful there, if folk think you might be using it to look through apartment windows you might get some police reports, it really doesn't need much for the government to think this hobby is something best left for professionals and the laws for ordinary folk need tightening up. A lot of Saitama is in the no fly zone so please do be careful, I'd really like to continue this hobby without any excessive restrictions.

Otona Cream Pie

Drones

Thanks for the DJI link!
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:40 pm
Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Be careful there, if folk think you might be using it to look through apartment windows you might get some police reports, it really doesn't need much for the government to think this hobby is something best left for professionals and the laws for ordinary folk need tightening up. A lot of Saitama is in the no fly zone so please do be careful, I'd really like to continue this hobby without any excessive restrictions.
I was flying over the lake/parks so not likely to be confused with peeping gaijin :lol:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Drones

Post by Zasso Nouka »

The 'Follow Me' features of the Skydio are really impressive. I've seen some super cool videos of folk skateboarding and skiing.