Internet & Tel. provider recommendations please

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
Del

Internet & Tel. provider recommendations please

Post by Del »

Hi all, 2 years have passed since my ( Hello from Okayama ) introduction post. Apologies for not having posted again sooner. We’re beginning to settle in so I will be asking lots of questions; please bear with me.

We’ve been using WiMAX for a couple of years whilst doing renovations but would now like to switch to Hikari + landline telephone. Any inexpensive recommendations please ?

Del ( Okayama ) :D
Wake, Okayama :dance:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Internet & Tel. provider recommendations please

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Welcome back Del,

We get our internet in a bundle from AU, it's not vastly cheaper than going with NTT but as they say every little helps. I've heard Asahi Net has some good deals. The main factor in pricing for a house is that generally you will need to pay NTT/FLET's for the fibre no matter which ISP you choose and that is the most expensive part of the monthly charge.

Hope that helps.

starting_the_dream

Post by starting_the_dream »

Check with city hall. Our little town has it's own internet and phone bundle with wifi for a little over ¥4,000 per month. Depending on how far into the countryside you are, there could be very high hook-up fees.

Del

Post by Del »

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the suggestions. :D

starting_the_dream :

I checked with our local Yakuba in Wake Town and unfortunately they don’t have a similar scheme to yours; pity. They stopped short of recommending a provider saying that the costs are broadly the same amongst them.

Apparently they had previously invested in having the entire Wake Town and Suburb wired for Internet capability. The previous owner had Hikari so hopefully connection costs will be minimal depending on the integrity of the current wiring and existing NTT connection point.

Zasso Nouka :

I had a look at their website and will contact Asahi Net on Monday for more info.

Del :D
Wake, Okayama :dance:

GaijinAgain

Post by GaijinAgain »

A bit slow for a response, but just wanted to say I've been using Asahi net for over 15 years and they've never let me down. They have support in English and offer a few services that other providers don't. (Like a static IP and Internet access to your email, a second mail account you can use for a spouse, etc.)

They probably aren't the cheapest, but they definitely aren't the most expensive and they don't play games with hidden cost and changing plans that it seems a lot of the super cheap places are doing.

Hope you get it worked out.