Wood Burning Stoves

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Wood Burning Stoves

Post by Zasso Nouka »

No worries,

Sounds like you should be fine without a shield behind the stove. There is probably a good deal of insulation in the back then, to stop it getting too hot. Quite a sensible approach by the makers.

Do you have one of these magnetic thermometers
thermometer.jpg
thermometer.jpg (53.64 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
Ideally stick it to the side of the stove. As you can see from there the best running temp is between 200 - 300C

Happy burning

Leicaman

Post by Leicaman »

I don’t have one of those stove thermometers but I did get myself an IR thermometer. I’m not exactly sure where to point it though. I’ve tried it against the glass which gives the highest readings, and also the top of the stove and the stove outlet. Not sure which is the best place to take a reading from. It’s interesting that while the glass on the front of the stove is around 285c, the rear of the stove is around 36c (after 3 or four hours of continuous burning).
This stove life is great. I love getting home from work and throwing another log in there.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Nice thermometer you have there man, that looks really neat.

My understanding and I could well be wrong here is that you shouldn't let the cast iron body get hotter than 300C to prolong it's life. It's not a disaster if it goes over that for a short period of time but the stove can be damaged if it ever gets to 400C. I've never seen our house stove get over 300C even on really long hot burns but the cafe stove can go over 300C within 45 minutes of lighting if you don't monitor it carefully. The house one is a Nestor Martin with a double wall cast iron construction whereas the Dutchwest in the cafe is of single wall construction with ceramic plates only covering part of the inside. Looks like yours has a good covering of ceramic plates inside the firebox which probably accounts for the back not getting overly hot, I'm not actually sure how hot the inside of the fire should get but kind of assume it could well be hotter than the recommended max for the stove body.

There is something inherently pleasing about tending a wood burner and watching it burn, it hardly seems a chore at all :)

Leicaman

Post by Leicaman »

Thanks for the response, Phil. Very useful as always.
Last night was pretty cold so we had the stove burning away very nicely. It was burning a little hotter than we usually have it, and the hottest part of the stove was around 220c. I checked the wall behind the stove and the hottest part was 44c. I guess 44 is ok but just to be extra careful, im thinking of putting a piece of board on the wall behind the stove, with a gap of around 5cm between the board and the wall. I’m not quite sure which material to use and what is available here in Japan. There is a company in the UK called Vitcas which makes vermiculite boards and also high temp plaster boards ( https://shop.vitcas.com/vitcas-high-tem ... p-asp.html ) . Something like these would probably be suitable I’m guessing. Does anyone know if this kind of thing is available in Japan? I think I’d prefer to go down this route, rather than having a steel heat shield behind the stove. Cheers

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

you can use calcium silicate board. ケイカル板 Also known as silkboard.
It is fairly cheap and you can either ask at your local home center or search for it online

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

We bought some ordinary plasterboard and mounted that with a small air gap (3 - 5cm) on the wall behind the stove and then tilled on top of the plasterboard.

Leicaman

Post by Leicaman »

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I might give the calcium silicate board a go due to me being the worst tiler in the world ;). I popped into a maki Stove shop in Nasu today (just here for a weekend get away) and spoke with a guy there. He reckoned that the board would be too fragile and would crumble “like sembei” but I think it should be fine. He recommended putting a sheet of thin steel about 5cm off the wall. If the board doesn’t work out, I might do that instead.
Thanks for the links to the calcium silicate online btw.

Leicaman

Post by Leicaman »

I popped down to my local home centre last night and grabbed a 1800x900x6mm board of calcium silicate plus a few spacers. I cut the board to size, gave it a light sanding and fixed it to the wall behind the stove. With the fire on for a few hours, I measured the temp on the board and it was between 29-30c. Much better than the 45c I was getting on the original wall. I’m sure the original would have been fine but for around 1000 yen, it’s certainly worth it to know the stove is safe. Although it doesn’t look quite as nice as before, the board blends into the wall behind it pretty well so I’m happy about that.

Thanks for the advice.

Mark

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

That looks pretty sweet man, nice job. The main thing is that it gives you peace of mind, you can happily go to bed or pop out with the fire still going knowing it's not going to burn the house down.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Our local lumber yard dropped by the other day with another few dump truck loads of hardwood.

These were too thin or small for them to bother processing so they were more than happy to get rid of them to us and we were happy to take it off their hands. All in all a win/win situation for everyone.

Now to get it cut to size and run it through the log splitter.