Post your country pictures!

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Post your country pictures!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Wendy wrote:I can't seem to figure out how to post photos, so I will describe them for you instead! : )
You can either reduce the file size below 100kb and upload them directly to your post. You can drag and drop pictures into the message box directly or click on the 'Attachments' tab below the message box and then click on the 'Add files' button. If your file sizes are above 100kb then use a file hosting platform like Tinypic.com, photobucket or a host of other options to copy and paste a shareable link using the 'Insert Image' button.

xxxxtom

Post by xxxxtom »

I have just got around to building a small retaining wall in the garden. I have been collecting the rocks that turn up or I dig up around the house.
As you can see I have retaining walls already the big one in the background is well over a 100 years old and going strong.
Cheers
Attachments
rps20180428_083700.jpg
rps20180428_083700.jpg (55.83 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
rps20180428_083537_734.jpg
rps20180428_083537_734.jpg (65.72 KiB) Viewed 2172 times

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Love the wall man, looks great and so much better than the typical block walls so many folk build to retain soil. It really blends in well.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Woke up to a proper winter wonderland scene yesterday morning.

Luckily it was all gone by lunch time and not heavy enough to damage our poly tunnels or collapse the low tunnels.

LeeB

Post by LeeB »

Nice photos.

I see that Hokkaido is having a nice cold spell with temps falling into the minus -10 to -15 area.

No thanks, but nice to look at the snow and think that we could use some cooler weather here in Oz.

I also see that Tokyo is going to hit a whopping 19 degrees for the high tomorrow!!!

We had another one of our super hot days here just missing out on hitting 40 degrees C - it hit 39.7 today for the high. And the forecast for the next week looks better. Maybe we'll even get some rain. Only 13.8mm for 2019 so far.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I don't mind snow when it clears up later in the day as it does make a pretty start to the day but it soon becomes inconvenient when you've got work to do later on. Saw quite a few accidents while driving around in the morning, folk unable to stop and getting stuck in rice paddies or rear ending the car in front, so glad we have snow tyres fitted on our car.

Hope you get some cooler weather soon.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Looks like spring is fully under way now, saw our first baby preying mantis's (is that the correct spelling ? :think: ) in one of our poly tunnels.

LeeB

Post by LeeB »

Yes, It is hard to believe that time flies so fast. Spring in Japan and what season we are having here in Melbourne - I really don't know!!

Maybe summer during the day and early fall at night.

The calendar says fall, but the daytime temps are summer.

What a crap year we've had so far for the garden. The spinach in spring was great and the first crop of komatsuna was good.

The cherries started out great and then we had to pick them early again. The rest of the garden has basically been a write off.

I put nets up over the apple trees and every once in a while a bird somehow still finds its way in. This morning I had lorikeets handing on the nets and pushing them down and then they are able to eat the apples near the nets. Must be time to start picking them.

Watermelons - put a couple of plants in and didn't get anything so I went out with a q-tip and did the pollination myself. Was happy to see the first fruit which was promptly eaten by something.

So I ended up covering the ones that are still growing and hopefully the weather and pests will not ruin them before I get a chance to harvest them.

The prices of fruit and vegetables in the supermarkets here this year are just unreal - really high. Eggplant at A$9.90 a kilo, green peppers at around A$9, tomatoes about the same. I cut back the tomato plants and they are growing again - one even has a few flowers on it and maybe I might get a couple tomatoes..yet.

The best tomato this year was a cherry tomato that came up 'naturally' in the front yard and I left it. Had to put a net up over that as well as the birds were them too too.
rsz_1rsz_watermelon.jpg

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

That's quite a high price for nasu, nice pair of melons you got there :lol:

LeeB

Post by LeeB »

"................nice pair of melons you got there" You should see the other two!

Yeah, vegetable prices in the supermarkets here are ridiculous this year. Fruit too. Floods up north have also hit the banana crop again and the price for those is A$4.90 a kilo. Pink Lady apples are A$7.50 a kilo. Mine, soon to be picked fresh off the tree, are 'free'.

We can get cheaper prices at the fruit and vegetables shop, but we have to drive to get to one which of course costs time and gasoline and the quality there is a little lower as well.

Free range eggs are selling for anywhere from $A3.80 to $A6 a dozen. The price of milk here was also put up 'to help the farmers' by 10%.

Supermarket branded milk here tastes like cardboard. It is thin and watery with basically no taste. I did find one brand that is better, but nothing like the stuff in Japan.

There are more brands of milk in a Japanese conbini than in a supermarket here!!!