Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Plant pest and disease identification and solutions

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Oh my God :scared-eek: . UNSEE UNSEE.

I'm going to be itching all day long now man :lol:

Looks like a writhing mass of geji geji, you didn't happen to have a flamethrower handy did you Eric ? Mind you geji geji do have a bright side in that they love to eat gokiburi apparently.

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

Hey guys i thought this would be a good place to ask,
i put in some okra seedlings recently i bought from cainz and they turned white and died
real quick, it happened over the course of 4 days from the time of buying, it has been really wet here in Shizuoka of late would it be mould?

cheers

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

It's hard to say for sure but Okra normally tolerate the humid summers so it might not be all the rain we've been experiencing recently.

Sometimes home centres have plants growing in ridiculously small pots for the size of a plant, which works well when they have staff watering them several times a day but not so well when you plant them outside and the root system isn't large enough to sustain the plant so they die on the first hot sunny day. Did you plants just suddenly die on a really hot day or was it a more gradual decline in the health of the plant over a week or more ?

Tora

Post by Tora »

Do kabutomushi larvae eat garden vegetable roots like the koganemushi (June bug?) larvae that have plagues my other garden for years?

I ask cuz the long abandoned garden space at my new place is full of them. Turning over one shovelful of dirt usually reveals one or two of them.

Sorry if this is off topic.

Caleb Fuller

Post by Caleb Fuller »

Pretty sure they'll munch the roots. All those beetle larvae are a menace - it's not just veg they eat - I've had perennial plants die suddenly and most of the time there'll be a fair few curl grubs in the soil, and virtually no roots left on the plant!
One thing I found works well in the veggie garden is to rake the soil over thoroughly with a garden rake. Seeing as they are mostly in the top few inches of soil, this tends to expose most of them, where they can be disposed of.
I found this actually seems to work better than just digging the soil over, as it exposes more. In fact, by raking the soil like this, I've been able to successfully do an otherwise no-dig garden in many beds this year, mainly following Charles Dowding's method. Previous attempts at no-dig have resulted in a build-up of curl grubs and cut worms to the point the bed was unusable without a good dig!

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

Zasso Nouka wrote:It's hard to say for sure but Okra normally tolerate the humid summers so it might not be all the rain we've been experiencing recently.

Sometimes home centres have plants growing in ridiculously small pots for the size of a plant, which works well when they have staff watering them several times a day but not so well when you plant them outside and the root system isn't large enough to sustain the plant so they die on the first hot sunny day. Did you plants just suddenly die on a really hot day or was it a more gradual decline in the health of the plant over a week or more ?

They died over the course of about a week yea, i ripped them out today and direct seeded as most of the guys around the area said direct sowing produces a healthier plant, i planted them on a sunny day then the next was partly cloudy then we had about 3 or 4 days of rain then yea today was sunny but they were already gone.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

It's hard to be sure but transplants require a lot of TLC to get through the period while they are establishing new roots. Direct seeding is definitely better if you have the time.