Purple/Red Vegetable Theme Garden

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Eric in Japan

Purple/Red Vegetable Theme Garden

Post by Eric in Japan »

This year I noticed that my purple cabbage did not have as many cabbage worms as my green kale, so I decided to try a bit of fun in the fall garden.
Image Image Image

Red-Express cabbage (Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds)

Scarlet Kale (Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds)

I will be of course planting red onions and sakura-daikon as well, just haven't bought the seeds yet. Too bad it is too late for purple tomatoes this year. I do of course have many eggplants and a purple pepper.

What else am I missing? (Of course I am willing to share some of the seeds if anyone wants. The purple hakusai has a limited number of seeds though, so first ask first served.)
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Purple/Red Vegetable Theme Garden

Post by Zasso Nouka »

An interesting mix of varieties there Eric, should give you some very colourful meals come autumn

We tried the purple hakusai a few years ago but kabutomushi seem to find them irresistible (that was before we started using nematodes) so getting them to a good size before planting out rather than direct seeding might work better ? :?

We're giving the purple carrots a go this year also

As well as purple bush beans (seeds for a purple climbing bean should arrive today) and you can get purple cauliflower and broccoli from both Sakata and Takii seed companies. I can swap you some of the bean seed for purple kale if you are interested ? You can still get a crop this year if you plant them in late August/early September, unfortunately they loose their colour when cooked but look nice in a pack when paired with yellow beans (which do keep their colour after cooking).