Archeological Land?

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Funasshi

Archeological Land?

Post by Funasshi »

Hi all...
In my searches for a decent piece of land to turn into farm, I recently bumped into a plot classified as sanrin, with the note that it is "埋蔵文化財包蔵地"
Google translate reveals it to mean something like "archeological containment land" (?)
I guess it means that the land, although classified as sanrin, can come to be target for excavations in the future... or?
So I thought I should ask here, in case any of you might have had an encounter with this. Sounds like something I should stay away from... :think:
Anyway, thankful for any feedback or insight on this.

BrettRas

Re: Archeological Land?

Post by BrettRas »

Sounds like the land includes buried historic cultural assets. I would imagine that would need to be considered before any type of excavation/construction could take place there.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

If the land is classified such, you need to apply to the Board of Education 60 days prior to any planned construction work so that a survey of the land can take place.
If anything is discovered, you might lose the right to build or have to change your construction plans so that a protective layer can be built first.

Construction can be stopped or postponed at any time too if it is deemed that more investigation is needed. Any costs of course will be yours.

Simple explanation of the law in Japanese

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Depends on the circumstances. If the area in question is isolated to a far corner distant from where you want to build it might be worth looking into but they might not be too keen on you running a tractor over the site to cultivate your land for farming, so that's something to consider.

It's not in Kurimoto is it ? One of the fudosan that helped us find our land told us of a plot he'd sold there where they unearthed some artefacts when clearing the site for the foundation slab and everything had to stop and his clients were unable to build their house.

Funasshi

Post by Funasshi »

Wow, thanks for the info.
Now that sounds like an adventure I do NOT want to embark upon.
Close shave for Funasshi there.
gonbechan wrote:Construction can be stopped or postponed at any time too if it is deemed that more investigation is needed. Any costs of course will be yours.
Hehe, of course. Why am I not surprised? ;)
So basically it could mean the death of one's plans as investigations, excavations and post-excavation can take up to several years. And Japan being so relatively tiny, where ever one searches, there is bound to be ancient remains of previous inhabitants. And the owner gets to pay for the whole party :doh:

I googled a bit more and found this interesting example:
Building of school delayed 11 years
Zasso Nouka wrote:It's not in Kurimoto is it ?
Nope, it is in Yachimata (30 minutes drive southwest of Tako)

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Funasshi wrote:Nope, it is in Yachimata
That's a real shame, Yachimata has some great locations and is very well placed for easy sales into Chiba city and the surrounding areas, it's also where Etsuo Asano lives and farms. He's a bit of a legend amongst Chiba farmers and a really interesting chap, he was featured on NHK's 'The Professionals' and his farm is inspirational.

Funasshi

Post by Funasshi »

Zasso Nouka wrote:That's a real shame, Yachimata has some great locations and is very well placed for easy sales into Chiba city and the surrounding areas, it's also where Etsuo Asano lives and farms.
Yeah, plus it seems to be a peanut capital of some sort ;)
Hmm, everytime I think I have found the place there is some showstopper about it...hard to keep up the spirit but I wont give up easily. With time I hope to find a place... :pray:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Funasshi wrote:Yeah, plus it seems to be a peanut capital of some sort ;)
It's their most famous crop and always a good earner.
Funasshi wrote:Hmm, everytime I think I have found the place there is some showstopper about it...hard to keep up the spirit but I wont give up easily. With time I hope to find a place... :pray:
Does seem that way at times when you are searching, took us over a year of looking at places and seeing so many that looked perfect only to discover some real deal breaker and have to carry on looking. You'll get there in the end and it will be all the sweeter for the amount of searching you've had to do.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

One of the places we had our heart set on turned out to be "埋蔵文化財包蔵地"
So I did a little looking into it.
I got all kinds of advice, most of it being steer clear.
The best advice given was, it is better to get land that isn't so classified, and if you do dig up the odd small historic wotsit, you can just kick dirt over it and pretend you didn't see. (In the case of remains of a structure or something significant of course one wouldn't do this)
But with "埋蔵文化財包蔵地" land, every single coin or trinket found, will lead to more investigation and more delays.