Winter Garden

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Eric in Japan

Winter Garden

Post by Eric in Japan »

Sure doesn't feel like winter around here. But the daylight (or lack of) says it is.
My Fall/Winter garden of purple hakusai, purple cabbage, purple kale, and carrots was finally finished off by a doubleheader of wild boars and escaped goats. I have only 24 sugar snap peas left.
I hope that you are all doing better than I am!
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Re: Winter Garden

Post by gonbechan »

It was cold for a while here but the past few days have been stupidly warm.

We had no spiders in the house in September and only 2 kusamushi, but the other day coming down the stairs to bump into a large arse spider, in full combat stance.. sitting on the banister and blocking my way.
Luckily Senor Gonbe was at hand to clear the way and throw the spider outside, where the fat geckos still gather at night time.

The weather is truly strange.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Yamabiru mentioned to me one time that either his local city or somewhere near him was supplying the residents with small electric fence chargers, possibly you could see if your city is offering a similar scheme or maybe invest in a small solar powered one perhaps ? When we recently went to Gunma for an onsen trip all the hatake plots were surrounded by electric fences or large net fences.

I totally hear what you two are saying about the weather, whilst nights here are starting to get a bit chilly day times are positively hot, the few frosts we've had have killed off most of the pest it's not been that cold to affect crops yet but you can see a dramatic slowdown in growth due to the shorter day lengths. Thanks for that link earlier Eric that showed day length at any location and time of year.

What was the germination rate like on your purple hakusai ? We tried them a few years ago and got maybe a 10% success rate :(

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

I think electric fences are a bit drastic for spiders, no?

Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan »

Zasso Nouka wrote:Yamabiru mentioned to me one time that either his local city or somewhere near him was supplying the residents with small electric fence chargers, possibly you could see if your city is offering a similar scheme or maybe invest in a small solar powered one perhaps ? When we recently went to Gunma for an onsen trip all the hatake plots were surrounded by electric fences or large net fences. (
Our city is the second poorest city in Japan, just before Yubari, Hokkaido. No fences for us. :(

Zasso Nouka wrote:What was the germination rate like on your purple hakusai ? We tried them a few years ago and got maybe a 10% success rate :(
On the plus side, I had almost 100% germination on the purple hakusai, but the price was pretty hefty for not so many seeds. Still miles cheaper than buying in the supermarket, but since the goats ate it, I guess I pay double this year!
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

gonbechan wrote:I think electric fences are a bit drastic for spiders, no?
Can never be too drastic, give the little buggers an inch and they'll take a mile :D
Eric in Japan wrote:Our city is the second poorest city in Japan, just before Yubari, Hokkaido. No fences for us. :(
Maybe time learn how to make Innoshishi ham & bacon and start a new online business venture :think:
Eric in Japan wrote:On the plus side, I had almost 100% germination on the purple hakusai, but the price was pretty hefty for not so many seeds. Still miles cheaper than buying in the supermarket, but since the goats ate it, I guess I pay double this year!
May we'll give them another go then, possibly we had a duff pack. Our purple kale is doing quite well right now, lovely deep colour and the purple Ingen we grew this year sold really well at the michi no eki so will definitely try them again.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Eric in Japan wrote:My Fall/Winter garden of purple hakusai, purple cabbage, purple kale, and carrots was finally finished off by a doubleheader of wild boars and escaped goats. !
Looks like we may be in a similar situation to yourself soon. Apparently inoshishi have been trapped in several cities around us this year so it can't be long till they arrive here.