Gun ownership and hunting in Japan

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
xxxxtom

Re: Gun ownership and hunting in Japan

Post by xxxxtom »

Gday
I've been lucky to have eaten wild caught Venison in NZ a few times and found it a lean cut of meat tender to eat without a strong gamey flavour, well worth the effort of hunting.
Cheers

KumamotoHunter

Post by KumamotoHunter »

Zasso Nouka wrote:I hear what you are saying about enjoying the whole day out in the wilds, tracking and stalking an animal and totally agree with your philosophy of a single shot. That seems far more humane than surrounding an animal with a pack of dogs and half scaring it to death before shooting it and also more respectful to an animal that is going to provide you with food over the next few months.

When you do upgrade to a rifle in a few years time do you have to take any further tests or is it more of a procedural thing ?
You have to spend half a day at the range and score a certain amount of shots at, I believe, 100 meters. You also have to convince the police of why you need a rifle.

KumamotoHunter

Post by KumamotoHunter »

gonbechan wrote:I am more curious about the inoshishi after you kill it.
Have you ever tried curing and/or smoking the meat?
Like in making bacon, pancetta and ham, I mean :D

I have had botan nabe and really liked it, also have had wild boar salami and cured meats in Italy and found them to be more flavorsome than their regular pork counterparts.
I have never shot a boar here, but I hope to do so once I move to my new property. I also like botan nabe.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

KumamotoHunter wrote:. You also have to convince the police of why you need a rifle.
Tell them you are British and it is necessary that you have a steady supply of bangers for your traditional ethnic breakfast.
Explain that bangers are to the Brits as rice is to the Japanese.
Spend hours pointing out the difference between wieners and proper sausages.
Use comparisons like wieners are like Thai Rice and bangers are like sasanishiki or Niigata koshi hikari to an Englishman.
They will understand and give you your license.

Yamabiru

Post by Yamabiru »

Hi KumamotoHunter,

What would you say your level of Japanese language skill is written and spoken?

Thanks,

John

KumamotoHunter

Post by KumamotoHunter »

Yamabiru wrote:Hi KumamotoHunter,

What would you say your level of Japanese language skill is written and spoken?

Thanks,

John
I am not sure how to quantify it. However, I now work as an overhaul engineer and am the only foreigner at my company. I have no daily problems with spoken and written Japanese. I have to deal with about thirty emails everyday in Japanese....

Yamabiru

Post by Yamabiru »

Thanks Kumamoto hunter,

I'll never get the license, haha ;)

Another question please. What are the rules for disposing of entrails?
The other day two hunters dumped a deers worth of guts less than 200 m.
Up the road from my house. On a narrow strip of land between the road and a large creek.
This attracted what appeared wild dogs. No collars, skittish.
I'm more worried about bears coming out of hibernation.
This practice doesn't seem proper.
They could've driven up a few minutes and disposed of it in the woods, at least bury it, jeez.

KumamotoHunter

Post by KumamotoHunter »

Yamabiru wrote:Thanks Kumamoto hunter,

I'll never get the license, haha ;)

Another question please. What are the rules for disposing of entrails?
The other day two hunters dumped a deers worth of guts less than 200 m.
Up the road from my house. On a narrow strip of land between the road and a large creek.
This attracted what appeared wild dogs. No collars, skittish.
I'm more worried about bears coming out of hibernation.
This practice doesn't seem proper.
They could've driven up a few minutes and disposed of it in the woods, at least bury it, jeez.
No rules, as such, just common sense. I always leave the gut pile in the forest, sliced open, so as to attract boars and birds of prey quickly. The thing with Japanese hunters is, they tend not to be the most ethical or cerebral of people....

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

Just thought id add here in Shizuoka the local hunters are getting a fee for every deer or boar they take,
I know of a foreign dude going through the process of getting his licence now, see if i can get some details.
I wanna give it a go if he is sucessful

Caleb Fuller

Post by Caleb Fuller »

I just thought I'd chime in here.

As far as the economics go, well, in the local area I heard the government will pay a bounty of 10,000 yen for every deer or boar caught. I also heard of one guy who catches about 400 of them per year. You do the math! That's a fairly decent annual income in these parts, especially factoring in that he can do whatever he wants with the animals - he's certainly not spending much money on meat...

I haven't hunted myself, but putting out the word has meant I get the occasional, much appreciated gift of boar or venison. I've certainly made a fair amount of boar sausages and burgers, venison sausages and burgers, as well as roasts and stews of all kinds. I can certainly see why venison used to be considered the meat of kings! Boar can be variable - when it's good it's better than farmed pork, when it's got "the taint", well... best make it into a really strongly seasoned sausage...