I saw this article and thought it might be of interest:

Unclaimed land in rural Japan

http://asia.nikkei.com/Politics-Economy ... -of-Taiwan

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Re: Unclaimed land in rural Japan article

Post by gonbechan »

I think that with the new vacant housing tax laws recently passed ( article here )and the increase in inheritance tax there will be a sharp rise in abandoned and unclaimed properties, especially in rural areas.

On the flip side of this, there is a law for adverse possession in Japan
取得時効 or shutoku jikō
There is a pretty detailed explanation with examples too on this Japanese Blog
In a nutshell, one can, with the intent of personal ownership, openly and peaceably occupy and maintain an abandoned property for 20 years, and if no claimants come forward, the property is yours.
I seriously doubt any obviously foreign looking person would be able to pull this off unless the property was so isolated that the locals did not notice it.
But one can dream.

Wendy

Post by Wendy »

Really interesting! Thanks for posting those links!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

It is a problem that is only going to get worse, or maybe it's not a problem and just a natural process of land returning to how it once was as the population shrinks. Depends on your point of view perhaps.

You can see farmland that is no longer used gradually going wild all over the place, is it good or bad ? I don't know but some communities probably don't have long for this earth.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

You would think that in the light of things, they would make it easier for new farmers and encourage a return to the land.

I am sure there are many people who would love to start farming but are intimidated by the whole 'farmer certification'

Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan »

There isn't much financial incentive to start farming these days. Or if there is, it isn't publicized enough.

Also, (putting on my grumpy hat) have you seen this younger generation (including my 3 kids)? Pasty faced minecraft playing, youtube watching, metrosexual, afraid of mosquitos indoorsy types. Can't imagine them outside (takes off grumpy hat).
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Since most of the work I do is remote, and hoping senor Gonbe can get more remote work and quit his day job, being in a rural setting where we can be more self sufficient is a huge draw.
As there are more and more people who work remotely or freelance, one would think that a gentler and more natural lifestyle be attractive.
Add to that the alarmist propaganda ads now appearing on tv (what to do when missiles fall etc) one would think being in the country with a plot of land to plant food on would appeal.

If we weren't already hankering after the life, the threat of war (if it worried me) alone would be incentive to scuttle up to the hills and scratch out some sustenance from the earth.
I think they need a rerun of Hotaru no Haka on prime time tv.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Whilst the farming life isn't to everyone's taste it certainly is less work than your average salaryman and you certainly wouldn't be a stranger to your spouse or kids. The commute to work is pretty simple as well. Finding good sales routes can be tricky but we know quite a few that sell over the Internet to city dwellers and make a substantial living easily exceeding what a corporate drone could earn, am tempted to try that route myself.

Farming aside though you'd think with the excellent broadband connections found throughout Japan remote working would be more of a thing. When you see the size of so many apartments in Tokyo you really are left wondering why people would want to live in such a place, fair enough they may be spending so long at work they only ever sleep at home but what kind of life is that ?

paradoxbox

Post by paradoxbox »

How does the law work for people who decide to claim several adjacent parcels of land for the 20 year period?

The problem with Japan's land is that it's generally been divided into weird and tiny shapes resulting in useless farm plots and stupidly built houses that have no sunlight or face north etc. But if one could claim 2 or 3 abandoned properties (and there are plenty of them) and turn them into a single plot, it would make it really worthwhile.

I also understand that you have to pay back land taxes once you claim the land, but I've also heard that there is some way around having to pay the full 20+ years' worth. Anyone have info on this?

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

As long as you maintain the land by clearing it on a regular basis or cultivate veg or something on it, then you are openly using the land.
Personally I think that any foreign looking individual wanting to do this, should choose land that is not in a village or has no close neighbours or busy road.
If you are thinking of doing something like this, seek out a nice abandoned in the hills isolated house and fields.
I don't think you even have to live there.
In the case of land, you will have to clear it regularly and maintain it. Perhaps keep a video or photographic proof of the work you do there.
In the case of a house, I think one would have to make it inhabitable, but not necessarily live there on a full time basis.

I haven't read through the whole thing as there are a few kanji that are beyond my abilities, so perhaps see if you can get someone to translate it properly for you.
I know there is also a 10 year proviso but not sure what the exact details are.