Unclaimed land in rural Japan article

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
gaijinfarmer

Re: Unclaimed land in rural Japan article

Postby gaijinfarmer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:59 am

I think this could be a really good strategy for the next few decades, because as these areas increase there will be a lot less attention paid to them.

One possibility, though, is that as farmers decrease and large companies managing agriculture increase, the government could grant them large swaths of land; if you were hoping to gain ownership over 20 years then it could be swept out from under you. I have no idea if this is really a threat, but it seems that the gov't would not sit idly by as its country reverts to jungle...

Personally, living an isolated lifestyle is appealing, but the emotional toll of seeing nearby communities wither and disappear would be really difficult. Does no one else suffer from this inaka-no-aware?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Postby Zasso Nouka » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:53 am

Don't think it is going to be a problem where we live, although we are in a small village we have several large cities nearby with large populations and plenty of work and Chiba city and Tokyo are commutable distances. However I think many deep rural locations will gradually become more and more empty.

gaijinfarmer wrote:One possibility, though, is that as farmers decrease and large companies managing agriculture increase, the government could grant them large swaths of land; if you were hoping to gain ownership over 20 years then it could be swept out from under you. I have no idea if this is really a threat, but it seems that the gov't would not sit idly by as its country reverts to jungle...

That's a pretty good point, even if an agricultural company doesn't come along the owners or heirs may decide to sell a plot you might be hoping to gain ownership and all your work could be lost.

gaijinfarmer

Postby gaijinfarmer » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:59 pm

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Postby gonbechan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:21 pm

If they stopped the stupid farmer license thing, I bet more people would start moving out to the inaka and start farming.

Wendy

Postby Wendy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:09 pm

And another article that fits the theme: https://asia.nikkei.com/Japan-Update/Ja ... properties

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Postby Zasso Nouka » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:00 am

Sounds like a good idea Wendy

Return to “Country Life Forum”