Mystery digger

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Funasshi

Re: Mystery digger

Post by Funasshi »

Zasso Nouka wrote:There is a surprising amount of calories in sports drink, you can buy the powder sachets in many places and drink it at 1/3 strength and still get enough ions to avoid painful cramps. If you buy a thermos type flask for it make sure you get one that is safe for sports drinks, some of the cheaper ones leach metal ions into the drink
Thanks for the tip. I have noticed that no matter how much I work out in the garden my belly keeps getting bigger :lol:
About thermos, my GF switched to plastic ones recently after we incidentally saw a TV show about how some kids almost died drinking soda/sport drink out of a thermos the inside of which their mom had scrubbed a bit too hard revealing the metal and rust.

Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan »

Zasso Nouka wrote:To fully connect with your inner Ojisan you can get a katori senko burner that clips onto your trouser belt loops :lol: , that will keep most mosquitoes away...
LOL I think my wife would rather I stepped away from my inner ojisan, as I have started to blend in with my village members.
It is kinda strange, recently, even strangers have just assumed that I speak and understand Japanese- before I even speak in their presence. I must have picked up some ojisan mannerisms over the years.
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Perhaps as we get older we care less about preserving a sense of fashion and just go with what's comfortable, for instance. I used to look on elasticated waistband trousers in horror but now they seem like a useful invention that can expand with your belly :lol:. Haven't succumbed yet but each time we are in Miyama Fashion Centre I can't help browsing them until I feel the baleful glare of Mrs Nouka warning me to stand back from the stretch pants.

Funasshi

Post by Funasshi »

Almost a year later I found the mystery digger. Mole!
http://mrbnatural.blogspot.com/2018/06/holy-moly.html
My first kill... I hope it didn't suffer much.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Congratulations on discovering your mystery digger. I must confess to being a little conflicted on these guys, on the one hand they are kind of cute and velvety and they are supposed to eat all manner of pest bugs but on the other hand they do seem to damage a lot of our shallow rooted crops. Luckily our cats have taken charge of the situation and removed any responsibility for dealing with them from us so we don't have to make any hard decisions :lol:

Funasshi

Post by Funasshi »

Lucky you!!! My cat is such a coward. He only pesters my chickens. He doesn't even chase away the crows

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I can understand that, I wouldn't be too keen on tackling a flying monster with huge claws and a massive beak that was larger than myself and could potentially come back with a whole bunch of angry pissed off friends :shock:

Funasshi

Post by Funasshi »

True. They are scary and smart flying monsters :)
The other day I made the mistake of putting out my cat's dry food so he could eat whenever he wanted. When I checked back in an hour, poor kitty was sitting in a corner of the garden making himself real tiny and watching while three huge crows were feasting on his food bowl.
Oh well, luckily I don't have big problem with them here for my garden is rather small and the crows find better source of food in the nearby neighborhoods and forests. They occasionally snatch a fruit or vegetable from me, but no big deal. The mole was worse... several of my new saplings could not get established properly for all the constant digging and died. I did feel a bit sorry for the poor little cute and velvety fellow when I caught it. But it had to be done. Usually I just shoo away animals and they stay away after a few times but I know moles are not shooable :)

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Moles certainly can play havoc when you are trying to establish trees and bushes.

Crows might actually be helping you, our crows protect our chickens from hawks and kites. As soon as they hear or see hawks and kites flying over they will send up a patrol to see them off which keeps the chickens safe from attack.

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

Hey so on ya mystery digger
a couple of fellas up at the local community garden were telling me about the
little buzzer things you put in the ground, they work off 2 d batteries and at regular intervals buzz.
apparently it scares off the moles and each one cover about 10m2.
http://www.cainz.com/shop/g/g4936695369183/
thats the link to it at cainz home canter