Mystery digger

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Caleb Fuller

Re: Mystery digger

Post by Caleb Fuller »

Moles are certainly a menace - not that they eat plants directly, but the indirect damage they do has so many consequences!

As far as those buzzers go, I'm a bit skeptical. Anyone had success with them? They seem to work off the same principal as the plastic bottle windmills my father in law made for me, which are so popular around here. I kind of gave up on those when I found one knocked over... because a mole had tunneled underneath it!

Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan »

Zasso Nouka wrote:Crows might actually be helping you, our crows protect our chickens from hawks and kites. As soon as they hear or see hawks and kites flying over they will send up a patrol to see them off which keeps the chickens safe from attack.
I would happily kill all the $%&#%ing crows in my prefecture if I had the chance. They eat or just vandalize everything. Just out of spite. They watch me to see what plants I take care of, then they just swoop down like a bunch of teenage delinquents. They are on par with wild boars as "Eric Enemy Number 1."
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Oh man, that's really unlucky. Maybe you've got Yankii crows :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you tried using the metallic silver and red bird scaring tape ?

donguri

Post by donguri »

MOLES

I'm reviving this topic to see if anyone has any experience or advice.

Last week all my corn plants fell down due to the heavy rain and wind, or so I thought. On the first non-rainy day, I attempted to prop them back up and support with a simple rope corral, but in doing so I discovered the ground beneath them had been tunneled. Moles are pretty common in these parts but no one seems to have a definitive method to deal with them. Some people suggest those twirly plastic propeller sunflowers- the vibrations supposedly detract the moles. For the short period that we had a cat, she captured one and brought it to the kitchen door as a trophy. Other than that I have no experience with them.

Seems that the main problem caused by moles is the destabilization of the ground beneath/around the plants. Is that correct? Do they eat the roots? Do they eat things growing underground, like peanuts? ( Please let it be no. )

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

As far as I'm aware (and there's a high probability of being wrong here so don't take this as gospel) moles don't eat plants but worms and insects living in the soil but they damage roots as they tunnel looking for food.

My father in law swears by the pet bottle windmills and has them dotted all over his garden, however he also has lots of mole hills so maybe they aren't as effective as he suggest. You can get a solar powered 'thumper' in home centres that is supposed to scare them away but honestly can't say how effective it is or there are traps and poison available. Cats are also an effective solution, ours capture them every now and then and keep the numbers down.

donguri

Post by donguri »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:13 am
My father in law swears by the pet bottle windmills and has them dotted all over his garden, however he also has lots of mole hills so maybe they aren't as effective as he suggest.
Looks like it’s time to junk up the garden with twirling plastic! :lol: