Agri World 2017

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Agri World 2017

Post by Zasso Nouka »

As autumn rolls around so does the annual Agri World Expo in Makuhari Messe. This year it is on the 11th - 13th of October and entry is free if you enrol in advance. There are exhibitors from all over the world along with seminars and demonstrations, whilst not everything there will appeal to everyone there's normally enough things to pique your interest and make it worthwhile visiting plus there are lots of freebies and giveaways.

Normally the tool section is well worth a visit as there are many craftsmen there selling quality handmade tools. Also you get foreign seed companies attending so sometimes have a chance to buy seeds that are not normally available in Japan. Sometimes a few of the manufacturers organise fun competitions where you use their product to race against other attendees, as in sawing through a log with one of their saws or such like.

Also this year there is the "Japan's Food Export" section which will surely have lots of free tasting sessions and hopefully they will have some stands from sake or shochu makers offering free samples.

Anyone interested can get tickets from the website here Agri World

If you can't make the Kanto expo then next May they have the Kansai expo in Osaka

Wendy

Re: Agri World 2017

Post by Wendy »

A very belated thank you for posting this notice about the Agri fair....we went and found it really interesting. I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't more for individual sale (seemed like this was more a wholesaler sort of event), but we scored some interesting seeds, a hand-forged handaxe, and I walked away from a miniature set of bonsai tools. It was also interesting to get a glimpse of international business. We scouted out some greenhouses for the school. FYI, on some of "sample" items, like bitty greenhouses, they will offer them for sale at the conclusion of the fair. By the time we were there, people had already bought the cast iron cookware and greenhouse we were interested in. Just mentioning for future reference! There were some hydroponic systems and someone making tools live...that was cool. Also, there were some interesting German hammers. I don't know why I adore tools so....I'm really pretty lazy at using them.
I would LOVE to learn of more regional (Nagano?) agricultural events. We need to put in a few fruit trees, which we wanted to do anyway, but evidently for the bit of land that is zoned forest but is now pure garden, we need to have some trees.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Agri World 2017

Post by Zasso Nouka »

A lot of the exhibits aren't always relevant unless you want to install a large scale solar installation or set up an indoor factory farm growing bland vegetables but there's usually enough to be interesting and seeing craftsmen at their work is always fun. Like you I can spend hours browsing around the tool section without ever buying anything just looking.

Going on the last day often bags some interesting presents from exhibitors not wanting to take lots home with them, this year's prize score was a couple of bottles of very nice shochu :dance: which proved very drinkable over the next evenings and a friend we went with loaded up on mushroom culture bags and is growing all sorts of different mushrooms in her apartment now.

If you enjoy samples then FoodEX next year is awesome if you can blag some tickets, loads of wonderful German sausages, Scottish smoked salmon, Belgium chocolate, French cheese, Italian gellato and more fine Italian wines and continental beers than you can possibly drink. No need to worry about getting lunch as you can get buy on the samples alone and to be honest lunch would get in the way. Last year there were lots of Prosciutto makers exhibiting and it was quite interesting sampling each and every one.