Compost Delivery

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
qshoefarmer

Compost Delivery

Post by qshoefarmer »

hello im looking to buy a large amount of compost. I dont have a car and have been biking to Komeri to buy what i can and carry back up the mountain in a backpack. But some things are too heavy. Does anyone know who i could contact to come and deliver compost? I live on Kyushu.

Eric in Japan

Re: Compost Delivery

Post by Eric in Japan »

Find a farmer with livestock. They will probably have a large pile of compost or manure that they will deliver to you for a fee. That is what I do. Even if they don't make compost on their farm, they probably know someone who can help you. If you can find various different farms- cow, horse, pig, chicken that is even better.

If you are having trouble finding a farmer, go to your local JA and and tell them you are looking for compost delivered. They know all the farmers and are quite helpful.
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

qshoefarmer

Post by qshoefarmer »

thank you for your reply,
I wrote a new post about going to the JA like you mentioned. I'm very new to all of this and am confused about some things having to do with legality. If you would read that post I'd be very grateful.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Will answer your query about the farming license in that thread but not having one shouldn't affect your quest for compost.

As Eric mentioned just visit your nearest livestock farmer and make some enquiries, most will be only too pleased to deliver to you. In our area pay for manure that has been composted for around a year in long sheds and regularly turned and fresh manure is generally free or priced extremely cheap to cover the costs of delivery. Prices for composted manure in our area (Chiba prefecture) are around 3,000円 per two ton dump truck.

I wouldn't normally take fresh pig manure as it can be very sloppy, strong and the stench is awful but we do get uncomposted manure from a farm that raises chicks, that manure tends to be very dry and crumbly and only has a slight smell which disappears totally once turned into the land with a tractor. However as it's uncomposted I don't use it only leafy vegetables that might be eaten raw and also use it at much lower concentrations than the composted manures.

You might also consider speaking to some of your local farmers and see where they source their manure from and who they think has the best.

Caleb Fuller

Post by Caleb Fuller »

Where in Kyushu are you?

I can get you a number for someone who delivers around the Nakatsu area. Something like 5000 yen or thereabouts for a truckload, which is about a ton.

qshoefarmer

Post by qshoefarmer »

is this manure? i went to the JA to ask about compost and they didnt know what i was talking about and only had manure. I was hoping to buy compost made from plants.

Caleb Fuller

Post by Caleb Fuller »

Ahhh... somehow this post has got twisted into manure rather than compost.

That's going to be a bit trickier - you know everyone burns everything here...

On the plus side, one of the local recycling centres has actually started offering chipped and composted green waste FOR FREE to anyone who can pick it up! As much as you want and can take, for free. And it's not bad stuff either - just no delivery or anything offered.

Otherwise, if you can't find something like that locally, yeah, it will probably be difficult to find pure plant compost in bulk...