Disposing of "haze" (lacquer) tree

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Tora

Disposing of "haze" (lacquer) tree

Post by Tora »

There are a few small lacquer ("haze") trees and saplings i need to remove on the property I'm cleaning up. As I don't plan to get into lacquer-ware anytime soon I need to cut down and dispose of some lacquer trees near the house before my wife or daughter (or most likely ME) gets into them and the itching starts. Actually the wife started getting itchy the moment she learned there were lacquer trees nearby but that's a different topic....

I plan to wear rubber gloves, mask and long sleeves etc when cutting it down. The best option seems to be dragging it into the forest where nobody seems likely to go and maybe burying it under some other brush.

If there is any other advice on proper handling and disposal I would certainly welcome it.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Disposing of "haze" (lacquer) tree

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Is burning out of the question ? Sorry if that's a silly question.

Tora

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:Is burning out of the question ? Sorry if that's a silly question.
As I recall, burning lacquer trees, poison ivy, poison oak and mango gasifies their itchy-scratchy toxins which can cause major problems when inhaled. Don't ask me what happens as I haven't made that mistake yet....

Plus we are in the city limits and are technically not supposed to burn brush.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Burning seems to be the universal disposal method for just about anything around here, household rubbish, black plastic mulch and goodness knows what else :cry: . For the really nasty stuff folk seem to wait till after dark and then burn it, like no one is going to be able to spot a large fire in the night but at least they can't see the clouds of black smoke from the burning plastic.

Forest disposal sounds like the best option then and the safest :thumbup:

Tora

Post by Tora »

No doubt! Nothing like the smell of burning plastic in the morning!

Here people seem to leave everything they don't want anymore in the mountains or on the river. Years ago there was a news story about an old man who was washed away in a typhoon. His last words were, "I'm gonna throw this trash in the river."

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Nature's revenge ? :twisted:

Tora

Post by Tora »

Hope there's no nature's revenge for the 10+ Haze trees I cut down and disposed of last week. Maybe the fact that I was in full overalls and protective gear on the hottest, most humid day of the year meant I paid my dues in sweat. I didn't have a gas powered chainsaw and even if I did, it might not have done much good as the wood does not cut readily with a saw. A friend who makes furniture describe such wood as "nebai" and I now understand all to well what that means. Had to take down and chop up those trees with a hatchet as the steep hillside and overgrown forest location made using an axe unrealistic.

Each step seems to be a never ending process. And I still haven't touched the house I'm supposed to be renovating....