agricultural/rural tourism

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
VanillaEssence

Post by VanillaEssence »

Fukushima is so beautiful. I didn’t know there were places like that in Japan before I went there. A real shame what terrible negligence led to on 311. Have to say that I found Koriyama to be a really weird city tho

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

I'm somewhere in-between Koriyama and Fukushima City which is handy for the occasional shopping trips etc, but yeah there isn't really much to Koriyama apart from the mountains surrounding the place which is cool to see.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:40 pm
Just spent 4 hours waiting to do a Furusato Zoom seminar that didn't happen because no one wants to come to Fukushima apparently.
Lame.
That's a real downer, Fukushima has a lot to offer for folk wanting to live in the countryside. It's got great scenery and you can enjoy countryside living without being too far from civilization when you fancy a shopping trip or night out at the cinema. Do you think the lack of interest was to do people's fear of the aftermath from 311 or maybe a lack of advertising of the event from the prefecture ?

I'm not sure of the best way to advertise countryside living to city dwellers but whenever going into Tokyo it always amazes me the tiny size of so many apartments and almost complete lack of greenery or nature. Coming from London which does actually have plenty of parks and open spaces that are well used I wonder how folk cope in Tokyo.

We have an NGO in our city that works with groups in Tokyo to show people what benefits there are to countryside living by organising events and having them come out and stay for a few days and then helps them move to the area if they want to.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:42 am
Do you think the lack of interest was to do people's fear of the aftermath from 311 or maybe a lack of advertising of the event from the prefecture ?
You know I'm not entirely sure but I would hazard a guess that 311 might have had an impact in some regards. I don't know if other prefectures are doing this also but there are unused bits of land that are used as temporary storage area for the contaminated soil from the accident site. I'm always seeing loads of massive black bags stacked here and there. I wonder if something like that puts people off, that's if they know that's even happening or not?
Apparently around 2030/40 or so they'll move them again to a decontamination facility when it's been built and up and running.
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:42 am
I'm not sure of the best way to advertise countryside living to city dwellers but whenever going into Tokyo it always amazes me the tiny size of so many apartments and almost complete lack of greenery or nature.
Someone mentioned yesterday that because people know that working remotely is easily possible now, they have started moving to the countryside more away from the city. Hopefully those who have moved will spread the word about how relaxing living in the countryside is.

VanillaEssence

Post by VanillaEssence »

Yeah Tokyoites do know the purpose of those contaminated sand bags. To be honest I actually try to limit how much produce from Fukushima too.

Zasso I heard somewhere that actually a huge proportion of Tokyo is actually zoned as parks maybe like 20 percent. I have to agree no idea how people are satisfied living in such small spaces.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:20 am
You know I'm not entirely sure but I would hazard a guess that 311 might have had an impact in some regards. I don't know if other prefectures are doing this also but there are unused bits of land that are used as temporary storage area for the contaminated soil from the accident site. I'm always seeing loads of massive black bags stacked here and there. I wonder if something like that puts people off, that's if they know that's even happening or not?
Apparently around 2030/40 or so they'll move them again to a decontamination facility when it's been built and up and running.
In some ways those stockpiles are a positive thing, in that it shows contaminated soil has been removed and stored so what is left on the ground should be safe but at the same time having a visual reminder laying around for all to see probably makes some people uncomfortable. Can't help thinking that they have a whole area around the reactors that is abandoned and would make an excellent storage facility that is out of sight.
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:20 am
Someone mentioned yesterday that because people know that working remotely is easily possible now, they have started moving to the countryside more away from the city. Hopefully those who have moved will spread the word about how relaxing living in the countryside is.
This is one thing that could revitalise the countryside. I think Japan is behind the curve on this one but if it does ever really take off remote working could lead to people moving out of the cities. Already you can get pretty fast fibre cables run to even the remotest of villages.
VanillaEssence wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:32 am
Yeah Tokyoites do know the purpose of those contaminated sand bags. To be honest I actually try to limit how much produce from Fukushima too.
Personally we don't avoid Fukushima produce and if we can we try and support small producers from that area. Presumably most stuff has been tested these days.
VanillaEssence wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:32 am
Zasso I heard somewhere that actually a huge proportion of Tokyo is actually zoned as parks maybe like 20 percent. I have to agree no idea how people are satisfied living in such small spaces.
Tokyo certainly has some nice parks but the main image you receive when there is an unending stretch of concrete office blocks and housing with little to no greenery visible.

VanillaEssence

Post by VanillaEssence »

If I recall correctly, the government actually increased the minimum acceptable level of radiation because things were still above that level. I suspect it probably is fairly low risk but it costs me nothing to avoid that risk. I’m guessing there must be some reason for the bags to be spread out. Makes sense at least for them to be above tsunami height. I guess if they spread them out the impact of an earthquake or something causing the bags to leak is less.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

i remember the last big typhoons last year, a bunch of those bags ended up being ripped open and washed away.
https://world.kbs.co.kr/service/news_vi ... %20weekend.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

gonbechan wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:51 am
i remember the last big typhoons last year, a bunch of those bags ended up being ripped open and washed away.
https://world.kbs.co.kr/service/news_vi ... %20weekend.
Oh shit, although I doubt they were expecting a typhoon like that size to wash them away. Hopefully they've sort of moved them away from any rivers and such now to avoid something like that again in the future.
VanillaEssence wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:16 am
I’m guessing there must be some reason for the bags to be spread out. Makes sense at least for them to be above tsunami height.
Just to places that have space available I guess, got land you ain't planning to use for the forceable future? Might as well get some money storing radioactive soil for a bit. Luckily for us they haven't stored any in near our neighbourhood.
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:11 am
Presumably most stuff has been tested these days.
Yeah everything gets tested where we are, before selling any produce we have to take samples.
I would like to think they are doing it properly, if I start growing another set of balls though or another arm or something I'll let people know but the produce here should be safe to eat.