Curious about the Economics of Rice Farming

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Curious about the Economics of Rice Farming

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I'm not in JA and personally wouldn't get involved with them, they are fairly set in their ways and not there to benefit farmers at all any more. You have more freedom to operate outside of their influence, their main concern is improving the lot of JA rather than you. Being outside of JA means you can negotiate your own deals and don't have them taking a cut of your profits.

As far as I'm aware you only need to be a registered farmer if you want to grow in registered farmland. If the land you want to grow on is registered as anything else then you are free to have at it without bothering to register. Subsidies aren't widely publicised as far as I'm aware as many places like to keep it somewhat discreet, you'd have to approach each municipality you are interested in to see what they offer and results can vary widely. I have discussed them with some other farmers but they generally won't give any figures for the subsidies they receive and don't seem too happy to chat about them in any detail.
vapidspants wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:10 pm
I personally would love to do vertical farming; cause you can regulate the process, extend the growing season, add solar panels to the top to power the system and earn feed-in tariff money, probably other subsidies, could grow high-value crops in a systematic way (ie strawberries or watermelon) and all year round without the fear of exposure or insects.
I would suggest going to the farming world expo's if you want to find out more about vertical farming, there are loads of stands there promoting different systems and each of those companies can sell you a complete set up. Already most strawberries are grown hydroponically as well as a lot of tomatoes and paprika and lettuce.
VanillaEssence wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:10 pm
I’m interested to know how selling your JA actually works. Are there like centres people drop their stuff off at? Does JA collect produce?
Mostly you drop your produce off at the local JA depot and they take it from there, they sort it and you come pick up whatever they won't take and then they tell you what price you will receive.