Wheat

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Tora

Wheat

Post by Tora »

Does anyone have experience growing wheat? Especially winter wheat.

I have a decent sized, long unused field I’d like to plant some winter wheat in. I grew some spelt a couple years ago then found out that winnowing (?) is a problem with Spelt wheat. And, as I was overwhelmed with working on renovating our house while working full time and not trying to die of exhaustion, I put it on the back burner.

I chose spelt as I read it would grow in less than well cultivated soil and it grew quite well -and my friend gave me some seeds he wasn’t using.

In the fall, I just shallow hoed the soil enough the remove most of the weeds above ground, scratched the surface of the ground, planted and went back to hammering on the house. Spelt was ready For harvest in May. I harvested what I could find amongst the weeds, dried it and didn’t get around to doing anything with it.

I’m wondering if I could get away with something similar with regular wheat or if I should put this off again till I have a little more time and energy to do it right(if there is such a thing).

I’d like to use the wheat for our bread and so on or at least to supplement and add a little flavor and texture to the store bought stuff we use. If nothing I’ll have a good “Fail story” and a deeper appreciation for the work of professional farmers.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Wheat

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I've not grown wheat myself but one of our friends does and then we buy our flour from him.

As far as I remember he didn't put any fertiliser down as he said there should be enough nutrients in his soil leftover from the previous crop. He has an impressive seed drill that fits on the back of his tractor after the rotary unit. He doesn't use any pesticide because there are so few insects around while it's growing and for harvesting he uses his rice combine. The combine does all the winnowing and he sends the wheat off to a local mill that processes it for him returning flour.

That's probably not much help for you if you are going to be doing it by hand though :doh:, maybe someone else has a better idea.

Shizuman

Wheat

Post by Shizuman »

Im planning to grow some myself this year!

Got my seeds on the way.
Im just going to till in some green manure and horse manure and see how that goes this year.
For harvesting ill probably do it by hand but im planning to build a thresher and winnower as well check out this youtube series :

This is the thresher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kXLkqc ... L&index=11

This is the winnower
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZASPsO_ydo&t=379s

I have a friend who has a conbine might see if i could try that though Thanks Zasso would be much easier!

Tora

Wheat

Post by Tora »

Thanks Zasso and Shizuman.

Yes we’re (read here “I’m”!) thinking of doing it by hand. Not till or low till as my tiller needs an electric drill to start it and the fuel tank leaks when it’s over Half full and.... I’m taking the slow food thing one step further.

Don’t wanna waste time but would like to feel like I’m moving forward and the Spelt did a pretty good job of growing on it’s own. And that might be one of the other reasons I’m cut out for farming.