What are people growing for the summer

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

So with the rainy season finally getting started over here in kanto and providing a good opportunity to transplant seedlings without them getting burnt to a shrivelled crisp before they can put some roots down I was wondering what other folk are growing this summer ?

We're busy seeding rows of Kairan, Ensai, mini Chingensai, Tsurumurasaki and transplanting out various kabocha & Butternuts as well as our autumn nasu. Also seeding follow on crops of Sasage & Ingen and getting ready to start off Brussel Sprouts, winter kale & cabbage.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:44 am
Also seeding follow on crops of Sasage & Ingen
I read that as Sausage. I would love a sausage plant.

We have various kabocha, Suika and Melon (both in the house this time round), Tomato, Cucumbers, Brussal Sprouts, Brokerly and Cauliflower and few more things I've forgotten.
Compared to last year we've been growing loads of things.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Oh man if only there was a sausage plant, morning weiners aren't too bad but I really do crave a proper sausage. Having said that Gyomou Super has a pretty good banger but a little more variety would be nice.
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:07 pm
We have various kabocha, Suika and Melon (both in the house this time round), Tomato, Cucumbers, Brussal Sprouts, Brokerly and Cauliflower and few more things I've forgotten.
Compared to last year we've been growing loads of things.
I've tried melon a few times but always they get over run with mushi, given the prices cantaloupe melons go for in Tokyo it's worth putting in the to get it just right.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:55 pm
Oh man if only there was a sausage plant, morning weiners aren't too bad but I really do crave a proper sausage. Having said that Gyomou Super has a pretty good banger but a little more variety would be nice.

I've tried melon a few times but always they get over run with mushi, given the prices cantaloupe melons go for in Tokyo it's worth putting in the to get it just right.
Also proper Bratwursts, wish we had a Lidle or Aldi here.

We have netting on the windows of our house so hopefully that cuts down on the pests, the plants are looking very healthy compared to when we tried growing them outside. I wonder if we were just planting them too early or something?

Also now that we have that electric fencing I'm growing loads of corn, last year nearly all of them got eaten by hakubishin.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:55 pm
Here have a complete Sausage Fest. Lots of varieties.. and cheap. Just use google translate if you não entendem português
Teleamigos Sausages category.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:20 pm
We have netting on the windows of our house so hopefully that cuts down on the pests, the plants are looking very healthy compared to when we tried growing them outside. I wonder if we were just planting them too early or something?
Suica seem to do well outside but I've personally not had much success trying to grow muskmelons outdoors. Would be interested to hear how you get on as I'd love to be able to grow them.
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:20 pm
Also now that we have that electric fencing I'm growing loads of corn, last year nearly all of them got eaten by hakubishin.
Hakubishin and Tanuki absolutely love sweetcorn, I don't mind losing a few but the greedy buggers scoff the lot :eek:
gonbechan wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:07 pm
Here have a complete Sausage Fest. Lots of varieties.. and cheap. Just use google translate if you não entendem português
Teleamigos Sausages category.
Thanks Gonbechan, that looks a lovely selection. Might have to order some :thumbup:

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:21 am
Hakubishin and Tanuki absolutely love sweetcorn, I don't mind losing a few but the greedy buggers scoff the lot
If they ate the whole cob cleanly I probably wouldn't have minded but they would tear down one corn, have a bite and then grab another and do the same. Such a waste.
Maybe that was a sign my crop was disgusting. :'(

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:58 pm
If they ate the whole cob cleanly I probably wouldn't have minded but they would tear down one corn, have a bite and then grab another and do the same. Such a waste.
Maybe that was a sign my crop was disgusting. :'(
There's probably nothing wrong with your corn it maybe just when they are surrounded by so much food they get over excited and want to try every one, bit like kids at an all you can eat ice-cream buffet :D

donguri

Post by donguri »

I've got butternut squash and another more standard type of kabocha, piman, cucumbers, zucchini -if they survive the army of leaf munching bugs- shishitou, sasage, square beans, sorghum, indigo, various herbs... hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to seed soybeans, I'm curious to see the yield. We started making our own miso from last year, so if I can manage to grow enough soybeans for the miso I'll probably never stop talking about it! I've got a few nasu plants going, but they don't seem to be very happy, so I don't have big hopes for them. Sato imo, peanuts, sweet potatoes and ginger are all going, but they won't be harvested until fall. Oh and sunflowers! Mostly just for fun, but if I can harvest the seeds for snacking that would be a bonus.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
We didn't get any seed ginger early enough this year so sadly won't have any :doh:. I would love to hear how you get on making miso.