Post your country pictures!

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Post your country pictures!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I think they need to be under for the whole growing season but I could easily be wrong about that. The renkon fields near us are submerged for pretty much the whole year.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

You can grow lotus in mud but it prefers a shallow aquatic environment with about 6~10 inches of water.
You don't even need a pond, you can use any sturdy waterproof container that will give you enough depth for sufficient mud plus the watery bit.
If growing from seed you need to score the seeds (not sure on the exact way to do this) but they are really easy to grow from a bit of the root.

I have grown them in old hibachi and in an old baby bath. They are really pretty to have in the garden, and you can pop a few small bog standard goldfish or medaka in the container with them to take care of mosquitos.

Ian

Post by Ian »

Our cinnamon tree and maple this afternoon.
Attachments
13.jpg
13.jpg (66.91 KiB) Viewed 512 times
12.jpg
12.jpg (64.26 KiB) Viewed 512 times

paradoxbox

Post by paradoxbox »

A cinnamon tree!!! Does do you harvest it for the cinnamon or just let it grow? That is awesome!!

Here is a picture from today at Totoro House :)
And, finally yesterday got permission to clear the rest of the field after the land dispute between all the Kaneda families was resolved - a 100 or 200 year old land feud solved by a friendly gaijin in the neighborhood for a few months. All it takes is a little display of hard work and kind conversation with the neighbors I guess :) And I did promise to hunt down the inoshishi too... :lol:

Some very special weather. The shooting-stars were spectacular tonight. I saw at least 10 of them.

Ian

Post by Ian »

Paradoxbox - Well done on the land dispute!

We just let the cinnamon tree grow. Nice to pick up and smell a piece of the bark now and then. Planted a bay leaf and lemon tree next to the cinnamon.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Great news you've sorted out the land issues Paradoxbox,

What do you plan to do with the land now you can use it freely ?

@Ian,

I didn't know you could grow Cinnamon in Japan, I kind of thought it needed to be in a tropical country. How would you go about harvesting cinnamon if you wanted ?

Ian

Post by Ian »

ZN - Yes, I'm surprised it is growing here too. Thought it might be a camphor tree (Cinnamomum camphor) but the leaves don't have a camphor smell when crushed. So, probably a Cinnamomum cassia, rather than the Ceylon.
Our one has had a hard time, someone cut many of the branches and the ants are taking over. Think I'll try air layering a few branches next year and see if we can get some more trees going.

Here is a good video on harvesting etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbZfc0lJ1q4

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Interesting video Ian,

I had just thought cinnamon is cinnamon and didn't realise there were different types. The lady on that video seemed to think Cinnamon cassia isn't good for you.

paradoxbox

Post by paradoxbox »

After clearing away some of the bush and grass, in the midst of all the thick grass I found this!!
Very stoked. Not sure what kind of tree it is, maybe a daidai or possibly some other variant of an orange. We're going to wait til the end of December before eating them. There are many yuzu trees around our area but this is definitely different from a normal yuzu, possibly even a custom hybrid that developed on this property by itself. Looking forward to trying the fruits - only 3 of them on the tree though.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Nice find man, would be great if it was something totally new.

Is that a vinyl house framework in the background ?