Ride-on mowers

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Otona Cream Pie

Ride-on mowers

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

Chuck2 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:09 am
I like the idea of remote control but this machine is still needs a lot of work to make it worth it.
I've seen them on display but never in action....dare I ask what was lacking?

Chuck2

Ride-on mowers

Post by Chuck2 »

Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:04 am
Chuck2 wrote:
I like the idea of remote control but this machine is still needs a lot of work to make it worth it.
Here is my list:

1. Lowest cutting height was too high, don't quite remember exactly but I think it was around 70mm.
2. Length of grass to be mowed couldn't be very high. My current ride a mower can easily cut 1m tall grass, this mower was less than that.
3. It couldn't cut my sloped land very well and would have to go and cut again with weed whacker.
4. Price tag was too much at 13Myen!( My friend said if it was 5M, he would have bought it)

I am waiting for someone to invent a mower like those roombas for inside of homes but instead for a vineyard or orchard. I think there are ones for lawns but not robust enough yet for my needs.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Ride-on mowers

Post by gonbechan »

Chuck2

Ride-on mowers

Post by Chuck2 »

gonbechan, now that is the set up I need!
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Otona Cream Pie

Ride-on mowers

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

Chuck2 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:21 pm
Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:04 am
Chuck2 wrote:
Here is my list:

1. Lowest cutting height was too high, don't quite remember exactly but I think it was around 70mm.
2. Length of grass to be mowed couldn't be very high. My current ride a mower can easily cut 1m tall grass, this mower was less than that.
3. It couldn't cut my sloped land very well and would have to go and cut again with weed whacker.
4. Price tag was too much at 13Myen!( My friend said if it was 5M, he would have bought it)

I am waiting for someone to invent a mower like those roombas for inside of homes but instead for a vineyard or orchard. I think there are ones for lawns but not robust enough yet for my needs.
That sounds about right! Yeah, the roomba style is only feasible if you're only dealing with grass and start off with it well cut down to prevent trouble. Then there are size limitations that come into play....seems like a ride on is still the best solution.

MickByrnes1969

Ride-on mowers

Post by MickByrnes1969 »

I wonder if my local rental place would have oe of those beasts? Probably not. Don't even know how I would describe it without showing them the video. :D
GNU Terry Pratchett

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Ride-on mowers

Post by gonbechan »

MickByrnes1969 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:36 am
I wonder if my local rental place would have oe of those beasts? Probably not. Don't even know how I would describe it without showing them the video. :D
A quick Google produced this gem

rental remote type mower for orchards.

It is this one

MatsueMadness

Ride-on mowers

Post by MatsueMadness »

Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:29 pm

I have 3 of those 2-stroke circular saw on a stick weed whackers, an elec one, and an elec push mower. For the light stuff, the push mower is just soooo much easier. Set to mulch, and height adjustability is awesome. 30mins and 3 batteries later:
just a heads up, the circular blades are good for bamboo grass and harder weeds. But the ones with the 2 wires coming out of the head are A LOT faster and easier for basic grass and weeds, like double the speed. I use both together, use the brush cutter (circular blade) to get at the harder stuff, what looks bigger and tougher, then wire head to cut everything else, then brush cutter to finish on what I missed.