When the wild boars break through the fence

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Chuck2

Post by Chuck2 »

I recently commented on another post about how my boat fence had been working for 4yrs without any intrusions. Should have knocked on some wood. The other night the boars broke through a gate. It was kinda my bad too because this gate had some gaps between where the metal sheeting was joining one another. This allowed the boars to see through. Here is a pic of the first break through and damage.

I fixed this hole they made but now this morning they made a new hole.

I added 6000v of discouragement to this new hole, hope it works.

eta: Converted links to photos
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Tora

Post by Tora »

Ouch! Hope I wasn’t part of the jinx! Looks like they really did some rooting!

I spent a few hot hard days cutting weeds and overgrown trees and have not seen signs of boars since. Thanks for the advice!

Also, I gave the head of the neighborhood association a copy of the trap plans you sent me and offered to help him build one or two but he wasn’t confident he could do it even with me helping. So, he asked me to build him one for cost of materials, beer and the cost of my trapping license. Problem is, now I feel more pressure than if I was just building one for myself!!!

Otona Cream Pie

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

Chuck2 wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:53 pm
You will know it works if you smell bacon :twisted:

What is this trapping license you speak of? Apparently my area of the woods has would be bacon in the area as well.

They messed up a few of my logs too :evil:

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Damn I didn't think they were that persistent.
Sorry to see the damage done.

I built a really shitty bamboo fence around the potatoes we grew before we got the electric fencing sorted and they didn't touch them, unsure if the mighty bamboo did the trick of the sound of my dogs going fucking mental stopped them.
Lately they haven't been in our area, as a result the snake population has increased.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Tora

Post by Tora »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:13 pm
Lately they haven't been in our area, as a result the snake population has increased.
I’ve noticed fewer snakes since the new neighbors moved in. I did not know or believe they ate snakes until recently.

VanillaEssence

Post by VanillaEssence »

I suddenly have a newfound respect for inoshishi

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I reckon it won't be too long till all hatake needs electric fencing, it certainly works a treat at keeping boar and other miscreants out.

Chuck2

Post by Chuck2 »

Tora wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:23 pm
Ouch! Hope I wasn’t part of the jinx! Looks like they really did some rooting!

I spent a few hot hard days cutting weeds and overgrown trees and have not seen signs of boars since. Thanks for the advice!

Also, I gave the head of the neighborhood association a copy of the trap plans you sent me and offered to help him build one or two but he wasn’t confident he could do it even with me helping. So, he asked me to build him one for cost of materials, beer and the cost of my trapping license. Problem is, now I feel more pressure than if I was just building one for myself!!!
I should listen to my own advice, if I had kept up with the grass and bamboo cutting around this fence, all of this probably wouldn't have happened. That is good to hear your not getting any more damage. Sounds like a good deal for you, I would probably ask for the beer first, I know I always build things better with beer.
Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:56 pm
Chuck2 wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:53 pm
You will know it works if you smell bacon :twisted:

What is this trapping license you speak of? Apparently my area of the woods has would be bacon in the area as well.

They messed up a few of my logs too :evil:
Hmmm.... Bacon! Reminds me of the saying: "Will you eat the last of my bacon?", Said no one ever!

That's looks like you got your self some trouble too. I'm about to go and check my fence, I put up a trail camera also, maybe I will have some bacon frying pics too. You might be needing a trapping license too.
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Damn I didn't think they were that persistent.
Sorry to see the damage done.

I built a really shitty bamboo fence around the potatoes we grew before we got the electric fencing sorted and they didn't touch them, unsure if the mighty bamboo did the trick of the sound of my dogs going fucking mental stopped them.
I am sure the dogs are a huge help, I have wanted a dog or two for awhile but wife is still not giving me the ok. But the boars eating her family's sweet corn is a good point in my favour. That is interesting about the snakes, never thought of that, this year I have seen very few snakes. What's your secret for keeping up with electric fence? I have a few but I'm terrible at keeping the weeds down.
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:34 am
I reckon it won't be too long till all hatake needs electric fencing, it certainly works a treat at keeping boar and other miscreants out.
I totally agree with this
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

DocDoesFarming wrote:

You might want a few guinea fowl for the snakes. Noisy fuckers but they get the job done.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

gonbechan wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:19 am
DocDoesFarming wrote:

You might want a few guinea fowl for the snakes. Noisy fuckers but they get the job done.
Had to google what those were, they are some funky looking birds.
Chuck2 wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:36 am
What's your secret for keeping up with electric fence? I have a few but I'm terrible at keeping the weeds down.
Using the old weed trimmer around the crop areas and where it's not so close I just use weed killer. You could just use weed killer provided you have one of the sprayers with that nozzle attachment and helps keep it from now spraying everywhere.
Another more expensive alternative which I probably won't do for a long while is get that black sheeting and lay that down.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.