Chickens !!!!

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
DocDoesFarming

Re: Chickens !!!!

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Been busy over the Christmas period sorting out the chicken coup. So far haven't actually paid anything for the materials as they were given to us.
We're erecting (heheh hehe hehe) two houses for the chickens, this one is good for about 100 which we'll order in April. Still need to build a table for the nest boxes (again given to us) and some perches.

That window you see is our bedroom... might have to invest in earplugs.

Almost done with the chicken wire inside. We've got a little space at the entrance for packing or storing some gear. The other house will be much longer so we can store food and supplies.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

That looks like a pretty well constructed vinyl house, I`m sure your chickens will enjoy it. Nice score on getting some materials for free. How long did it take you to get it set up ?

I can certainly recommend Moldex 6800 Pura-Fit ear plugs, even Mrs Nouka`s snoring can`t get through them, for a good night`s sleep. Your chickens shouldn't wake you up too early when using those bad boys.

e2a: an "n't" which changes the whole meaning of the last sentence.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Another useful weed is Fat Hen, it isn't as cold hardy as chickweed but was traditionally used as fodder for chickens as the name suggest we have loads of it growing in spring and autumn on our land so it should grow on yours as well. Let the plants get to just over a metre high and then cut them whole and throw the entire plant into your chickens that will devour it with glee. Kudzu is another good forage plant and that was the reason it was imported into the US, unfortunately it found conditions there entirely too much to its liking and is now considered an aggressive invader but chickens love to eat it so if you have any growing wild nearby it's pretty useful.

Will you also be feeding your chickens commercial feed ?

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:07 pm
Will you also be feeding your chickens commercial feed ?
Took a week or so to get thing up, doing the netting is taking much longer because of how fiddly it is, digging the trench took a few days, not looking forward to doing it again though :(

I think we're going to go organic and make our own feed.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:28 am
I'd be interested to hear how you get on as I'd like to give it a go once more, it didn't work when we tried a few years ago and the chickens ended up eating each others feathers so we went back to feeding them commercial feed from home centres.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:35 pm
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:28 am
I'd be interested to hear how you get on as I'd like to give it a go once more, it didn't work when we tried a few years ago and the chickens ended up eating each others feathers so we went back to feeding them commercial feed from home centres.

A mix of Rice, Rice Flower, Apple wastage and Okara left to ferment.
The apples we'll get from one of the local farmers, hopefully we'll be able to grow our own rice in the future in one of the paddies out the front of the property. It's not a huge one so won't be a problem planting by hand, but it's in a complete state at the moment so I guess that will be a job for myself...

And obviously feeding them greens, I have a feeling they'll get bored of the cucumbers we'll be giving them in the summertime.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Will certainly be a selling point for your eggs I imagine, will be interesting to see how you get on with it.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

I'll let you know how well we do with regards to the feed. Hopefully it's not a complete disaster.

Today I was given an Emu egg, debating whether to eat it or raise it as a pet. I'm guessing there wouldn't be a point in Emu farming (this is just a way out there idea, the farmer who gave me it just has them as pets) here in Japan in the distant future?
I heard the meat is a bit like Beef and the eggs are tasty, also the oil they produce is quite useful for certain products and the feathers also can be harvested.

I still can't get over how weird they are in person.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

They would probably make good guard birds if you do decide to raise some emus, I doubt there would be many predators willing to take one on :lol:

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Finally got our baby chicks (101 female 11 male) today, been checking them every hour to see how they are and so far so good.

The whole rice powder fermentation thing is amazing, they're nice and warm and hopefully won't have any problems fingers crossed.
We were also recently was gifted a mixer so now I won't have to do massive batches of feed in the future by hand, however I need to go about changing the motor as it's set for the non standard home voltage.
Hopefully that won't cost too much.