Your version of Oden

A forum for all things cooking, food or snack related
gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Your version of Oden

Post by gonbechan »

Tonight is oden night, and tomorrow night and depending on how things go, well the day after tomorrow too.

I like to start my oden in a normal pot and then transfer it to the slow cooker (we have a massive one) so I can add things before I go to bed and voila, goodness awaits in the morning.
Also our slow cooker is enormous.

I have always liked to put schau essen in my oden, way before it became the norm at the conbini to add wienies. Somehow they just fit the dish.
Other than that, I guess we are pretty orthodox.
Very thick slices of daikon, potatoes, boiled egg, gobo ten (plus assorted other ten stuffs) tsukune, chicken thigh,konyaku, gyu suji, chikuwa, atu age toufu, toufu and those little abura age bags with the mochi inside.

I am sure there are other wonderful things that go well in Oden that most people have not thought of.
What is your twist on the dish?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Your version of Oden

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I love Oden but Mrs N is less keen so we don't get to eat it a lot :cry:

It's the perfect winter food, warming, tasty. What's not to like ?

donguri

Post by donguri »

My standard oden stuffs are: daikon, boiled eggs, konnyaku, atsu age tofu, chikuwa, gobo-ten, some kind of hanpen, chunks of octopus and sato-imo. Simmered in a strong katsuo/kombu dashi.

Other additions: good quality nama-fu is quite nice, homemade tsukune if I'm feeling ambitious, satsuma age, chicken drummies, sausages, the mochi pouches.

I love oden! It's one of the few foods I'm actually happy when there are leftovers.

paradoxbox

Post by paradoxbox »

Argh mouth watering thread. Gotta admit I've never made oden though I occasionally eat it at friends' houses or sometimes from the konbini. Maybe I oughtta try making it sometime.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Oden is great for winter but the best thing about it is that it lasts a few days (or more if you add stuff)

If you have a crockpot, its the ideal way to keep it going after starting it in a normal pot.
I recommend giving the daikon and chicken/gyuu suji a head start in the dashi before moving it over to the crockpot.

Don't have a crockpot. Not a problem. Start it up in a large heavy pot or even pressure cooker for about 5 minutes with daikon and chicken and/or gyu suji, then add all the other goodies, simmer for 10 minutes or so and then pop into ....... (DIY coming up for you Paradoxbox)
one of the following that you will need to make before you start preparing your oden.

http://www.iwillprepare.com/cooking_fil ... er_Box.htm
https://newlifenewpurpose.wordpress.com ... materials/