Squash Blues and Fruit and Veg Rant.

A forum for all things cooking, food or snack related
donguri

Re: Squash Blues and Fruit and Veg Rant.

Post by donguri »

gonbechan wrote:For sure you can find loaves of spongy white bread at small bakeries.
One can also find mediocre baguettes but for the most part, if one wants more than that it is usually easier and cheaper (and tastier) to bake one's own.
Sure, Japan is heaven for Wonder Bread fans. I guess in my exhaustive searches for decent bread (I'm a fan of German style braunbrot or just about anything crusty and preferably made with sourdough) I've found some fairly decent choices in various little shops, so I work them into my excursions and stop in when I'm nearby. Then I buy a few at once and put them in the freezer, which works fine if you end up toasting the bread anyway. Again, location is definitely a factor.
gonbechan wrote: Of course you can get bread from Costco, but not all of us have easy access, so I am talking about the average shopping destination.
Also, to be honest, I don't find Costco's bread that good.
Costco doesn't even figure into my thinking about food. Despite being an American, it's just not the type of shopping I do, or ever have done.
Zasso Nouka wrote: They are but it still seems difficult to get a proper Ciabatta, Baguette or Focaccia.
True enough. I point you in the direction of Mr Paradoxbox, I seem to remember he was throwing down some seriously nice looking ciabattas!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I hear what you are saying about Costco Donguri, they do have some good stuff there but quite often that isn't the food. We prefer Metro which is a German cash and carry and although they do have plenty of lower quality stuff they also have a good range of Swiss, German and French cheeses and some great wine.
donguri wrote:True enough. I point you in the direction of Mr Paradoxbox, I seem to remember he was throwing down some seriously nice looking ciabattas!
Paradoxbox is a true hero of good bread.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

We only really use Costco for dishwashing liquid, laundry detergent, kitchen paper towels.. and the odd bits and bobs.
For food, it really doesn't have much that we like and their meat prices are rediculous.

We usually order our meat from Tele-Amigos
The translated page isn't 100% but if you have any basic Latin in your long lost schooling, understanding the Portuguese is not too hard.
Their Aussie beef is really good and usually senor Gonbe (who speaks Spanish and Portuguese as well as Japanese and English) will call them up and ask for them to cut and pack the meat to our requirements.

Last night we had some Aussie sirloin and it was flavorsome and tender. We cooked it on our lotus grill (best invention since almost anything).
Its only 1890yen a KG. Rump is even cheaper at 1490yen a KG.