How to make persimmon vinegar

A forum for all things cooking, food or snack related
donguri

Post by donguri »

I’m reviving this topic in the hopes that someone remembers how to actually make the persimmon vinegar. Seems the original post was lost - maybe from the old forum?

Anyhooo, lots of persimmons rolling in right now and I need some more options for using them :lol:

donguri

Post by donguri »

I’m sure it’s something along the lines of - throw a bunch of persimmons in a bucket, mash, cover and let it sit, but a little more info (or confirmation) would be nice :D

Tora

Post by Tora »

If they’re the sweet kind, you can slice them 1cm or so thick and dry them. You can also put them in boxes and send them to friends like we did last year. Almost none on the trees this year! Hope those people’s are not expecting more :lol:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Unfortunately Gaijinfarmer wanted his account and all the posts deleted so we lost that information but I think you are on the right track with mashing them and leaving them in a bucket for natural yeasts to ferment. This video shows how to make it in a slightly different way.

donguri

Post by donguri »

Tora wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:37 pm
Almost none on the trees this year!
Our trees had almost nothing last year, but this year is bonkers! Plus a young tree started truly bearing fruits, so there’s one more tree producing.

donguri

Post by donguri »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:01 am
Unfortunately Gaijinfarmer wanted his account and all the posts deleted so we lost that information …

This video shows how to make it in a slightly different way.

That’s unfortunate.

Checked the video- what could be simpler? I think I have already some vinegar starting in a bowl of persimmons sitting on the counter :lol:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Can't remember exactly how Gaijinfarmer did it but I do recall it being quite a simple process.

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

that's an awesome video! Rekon ill try it myself too. That video would also be great for a drinking game, every time she says persimmons take a shot!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Shizuman wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:53 pm
that's an awesome video! Rekon ill try it myself too. That video would also be great for a drinking game, every time she says persimmons take a shot!
It does look quite easy, our trees aren't large enough to give a big harvest yet but going to have a go once we have enough kaki.

donguri

Post by donguri »

I started a jug last night, so I guess I'll be back in a year to let y'all know how it turned out! I think I'll do another crock full as there are just enormous amounts of persimmons this year and what could be easier? If the vinegar turns out as good as people say, I'm sure I can use more. And next year will most likely be an off year for our persimmon trees.