Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of...........

Please introduce yourself
sigismund

Re: Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of...........

Post by sigismund »

Sorry for the late reply. I had an issue where I thought I was going to be homeless due to a roommate not being able to pay his rent (not his fault). Luckily we were able to get it all figured out. :)
Yamabiru wrote: Hi and welcome Sigismund! What area are you looking at?
The dream has always been to get a place rural and somewhat mountainous. I want to be able to walk/hike around and explore. However at this point in time I would be fine with almost anywhere. If there is a steal of a deal I can afford I would be willing to take it. I have heard that some homes can cost next to nothing, but what I have read you need to already be in Japan to find these deals. Any input would be appreciated.
Zasso Nouka wrote:How are you finding properties right now ?
I have been using the links on the Finding Land page from these forums for the most part. My biggest issue seems to be with translation. Google is a good translator but not perfect. Sometimes 300万円 is translated as 300 yen and other times as 3 million yen. :think: I had hoped to take a Japanese course at my community college this semester but was wait-listed to the very end.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Glad you got the housing situation sorted out :thumbup:

It's true that there are some amazing bargains to be had in the countryside but you'd probably need to do a fair amount of restoration work on the cheapest ones to bring them up to a comfortable living standard, a fun task if you enjoy DIY. Also more out of the way places tend to be cheaper which may suit your needs, it's not totally necessary being in country to find a place but it does make it a whole lot easier being in an area you are interested in. Some of the more interesting properties never make it onto the net as folk don't think anyone would be interested in them but if you have a good real estate agent they can use their network of contacts to find properties like that.

Just flip back and forth between a translated page and the original to find the real price. How good is your Japanese ?

sigismund

Post by sigismund »

Zasso Nouka wrote:It's true that there are some amazing bargains to be had in the countryside but you'd probably need to do a fair amount of restoration work on the cheapest ones to bring them up to a comfortable living standard, a fun task if you enjoy DIY.
I did apartment maintenance with my grandpa for around 4 years. I can do some basic repairs but things like electrical would be beyond my skill level.
Perhaps I should be looking for one of these "psychologically distressed" homes.
Zasso Nouka wrote:How good is your Japanese ?

I know very little. I wouldn't be able to hold up even the most basic conversation at this point. I was supposed to start a Japanese class at my local college this semester but I was put on the wait list and no one dropped. I suppose every goal has obstacles, you just have to keep pushing forward. :) Right now I'm taking some free online lessons and watching some youtube channels. I'm making progress and that should keep me from getting discouraged.

I don't want to clutter up the introductions thread. Would it be acceptable to make a thread in the country living section to discuss ideas and get feed back?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Feel free to start a thread wherever you feel it fits the best Sigismund.

If you can't get into the course you wanted there are many other options. My own Japanese level is fairly low but I found listening to the Pimsleur lessons while walking to and from work each day helped and Rosetta Stone is also quite good.

Haunted houses with restless spirits hell bent on wreaking vengeance and dragging the new owner's soul back to an eternity of torment in the very darkest depths of hell are certainly a cheap option :lol:

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Zasso Nouka wrote: Haunted houses with restless spirits hell bent on wreaking vengeance and dragging the new owner's soul back to an eternity of torment in the very darkest depths of hell are certainly a cheap option :lol:
They are even cheaper when there are manstains on the kitchen floor.
We have yet to encounter restless spirits, so perhaps the extensive sanding helped exorcise anything wanting to remain behind.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

gonbechan wrote:They are even cheaper when there are manstains on the kitchen floor.
We have yet to encounter restless spirits, so perhaps the extensive sanding helped exorcise anything wanting to remain behind.
So you haven't found any mysterious VHS tapes laying around just begging to be watched, mind you I'm not sure that whole Ring scenario would work any more given the lack of VHS players these days.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Nobody in the crawl space of the roof either.

Funasshi

Post by Funasshi »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
gonbechan wrote:They are even cheaper when there are manstains on the kitchen floor.
So you haven't found any mysterious VHS tapes laying around just begging to be watched, mind you I'm not sure that whole Ring scenario would work any more given the lack of VHS players these days.
Teehee... suspicious VHS tapes found could otherwise very well be the explanation for some of the manstains on the kitchen floor... nudge nudge. :lol:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Funasshi wrote:Teehee... suspicious VHS tapes found could otherwise very well be the explanation for some of the manstains on the kitchen floor... nudge nudge. :lol:
Oh err missus. Fnarr fnarr, said the actress to the bishop. :shock:

Obviously I have no idea what you could possibly be implying Funasshi :?

Funasshi

Post by Funasshi »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Funasshi wrote:Teehee... suspicious VHS tapes found could otherwise very well be the explanation for some of the manstains on the kitchen floor... nudge nudge. :lol:
Oh err missus. Fnarr fnarr, said the actress to the bishop. :shock:

Obviously I have no idea what you could possibly be implying Funasshi :?
Oh, nothing, nothing... :shifty: :whistle: (Insert more smileys trying to act completely innocent here)