Hello from Yugawara

Please introduce yourself
AkiyaHunter

Hello from Yugawara

Post by AkiyaHunter »

Hey everyone, Matt here. I was made aware of this forum on Twitter, thought I'd check it out!

My main interest in Japan Simple Life's mission ("a resource for people wanting to live in the Japanese countryside") is threefold:

1. I am co-founder and 1/2 of Akiya & Inaka, a full-scale real estate consultancy (partnered with Tokyo-based legal services & real estate broker STK Group) that focuses on the location, vetting, and acquisition of vacant/abandoned properties (aka akiya) across Japan.

2. I also run Kaala, a multifaceted demon of an underground Japanese music scene support system, of sorts. We have done a lot over the years (cultural ecosystem analytics, media production, booking and tour management, etc.) and have recently been focused on developing alternatives to the Metro area concert business models in rural Japan.

3. I lived on the coast of Miyako, Iwate between November 2009 and April 2011, and experienced the full force of the 3/11 tsunami there. Ever since, I have been actively engaged in multiple projects dealing with development in rural Japan generally but Tohoku specifically. Here's an article Japan Times ran on that experience this year for the 10 year anniversary.

Looking forward to reading and contributing, and if anyone has any questions about the above, feel free to ask!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Hello from Yugawara

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Hi Matt,

Welcome to Japan Simple Life and thank you for taking the time to sign up, we really do appreciate that. Sounds like you've got some pretty interesting projects going on, how do you manage to find enough time in the day to be that busy ? :D

The Tohoku earthquake was a disaster of epic proportions, you were lucky not to have been swept out to sea by the tsunami. Must of been terrible up there dealing with the aftermath. Nice to hear you are still trying to help the area out.

DocDoesFarming

Hello from Yugawara

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Hey Matt,

Welcome to the forum, very interested in Kaala seems like a pretty cool service you have.
As far as bands who want to tour here is that something you could help them out with as well or do you know who would be the best people to contact?
I know a metal band who is interested in touring here from UK and would love to help them out.

Your link doesn't appear to work, you'll need to ditch the www. bit https://kaalamusic.com/

I'm dying to see a live gig again but there doesn't seem to be anything in my neck of the woods. Got any tips on where to look?
I live between Koriyama and Fukushima City.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Hello from Yugawara

Post by gonbechan »

Wonderful to have you here Matt.

Please post any interesting properties in the Inaka Properties part of the forum.
Usually it is just me posting some properties I have seen online but know nothing about.
I think all of us are addicted to looking at real estate and some of us are actively looking for that dream property.

So I am very excited that you have joined.

AkiyaHunter

Hello from Yugawara

Post by AkiyaHunter »

Thanks for the kind welcome!

Yes, there's a *whole* lot out there regarding akiya. As I'm sure most of you've noticed, its pretty tough to tell the good from the bad. We do extensive research and due diligence on properties fitting a client's specific requests, which takes a good amount of effort/time and so we charge for it. We also charge for visitations, localization, inspections, and brokerage, amongst other services. FYI going with us through the whole process adds a minimum of about ¥500,000 to the price tag, and there's a reason for this.

The major problem we deal with is that the accepted/standard real estate practice in Japan disincentivizes proper property management/admin on anything below, say, $750,000. Said another way, no "normal" real estate agent in their right mind wants to deal with akiya/cheap/rural property in general because there's no money in it for their effort. And because of that, no one managing an akiya - like an akiya bank - has much of a reason to keep accurate records because they historically don't sell. The standard model creates a vicious cycle for basically anything but properties approaching luxury status.

So like, yeah, you can go it yourself, but there're a lot of pitfalls. With me, its more expensive - but still comparatively way cheaper - but with far more peace of mind and a high likelihood that you've acquired the best possible option.

I'll probably occasionally post something, but I don't really like false hope - which is what a lot of unvetted properties provide - so don't expect too much.

That being said, we do encourage readers of our newsletter to track down unvetted akiya we're aware of in an effort to educate about this mismanagement problem. Newest one is here. Problem won't fix itself, and won't be fixed without critical analysis.

AkiyaHunter

Hello from Yugawara

Post by AkiyaHunter »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:58 pm

Your link doesn't appear to work, you'll need to ditch the www. bit https://kaalamusic.com/

I'm dying to see a live gig again but there doesn't seem to be anything in my neck of the woods. Got any tips on where to look?
I live between Koriyama and Fukushima City.
Ah, been meaning to fix that URL issue lol, thanks for the reminder!

Fukushima, huh? We've been doing a lot of hardcore/grindcore documentary work in Aizuwakamatsu recently. Got our most recent gig's first full set coming out this weekend most likely, here's a preview of it though.

Otona Cream Pie

Hello from Yugawara

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

AkiyaHunter wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:07 pm
ore expensive - but still comparatively way cheaper - but with far more peace of mind and a high likelihood that you've acquired the best possible option.
I caught a YT video with you guys recently. Do you guys offer hourly consulting services? If not, I would humbly suggest you consider offering it.

While I appreciate what you're trying to do, based on my own (admittedly low experience) impression and the comments of that video, I see the value in racking your brains for a few hours but not hand holding through an entire purchase UNLESS I'm missing something like you're fully licensed and can really offer a whole package with financing and everything in between. If I'm missing something, please do say so.

AkiyaHunter

Hello from Yugawara

Post by AkiyaHunter »

Yes, we offer a full package, which includes financing advisory. Also brokerage, due diligence, and post-purchase resources. I can provide details if yr interested.

Let it be known that "financing" services from any real estate organization amounts to advisory - the entire process depends on your circumstances and the manner in which you go about applying. We make sure everything is in order to ensure the highest probability of success, but it's never guaranteed.

You'll also occasionally hear people talk about having some sort of special relationship with this or that bank. At least regarding the implied, "we get better deals than normies," this is bullshit.

Otona Cream Pie

Hello from Yugawara

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

Sounds good. The more you can explain what value you bring, the better. Are your target customers people that already live here or are planning to move from overseas?

AkiyaHunter

Hello from Yugawara

Post by AkiyaHunter »

Roger that - Reddit's taught me to be mad careful about any sort of link placement or what might be perceived as self promo, so I tiptoe around the subject on forums lol.

We work with clients living in Japan as well as living outside. Both are very doable, though if not a resident of Japan there are additional hoops to jump through as well as additional costs. Really it all boils down to having a comprehensive understanding of the various pieces of the puzzle, resources to assemble them in a manner that suites your position, and a bit of patience.

This is, of course, easier said than done as Japan's real estate market is generally quite fractured, what goes at least double for rural or vacant properties. That's essentially what our services package is - everything you need to identify, acquire, and modify the akiya that aligns most closely with your ideal as efficiently and painlessly as possible.