Who's got grills or smokers? Come on in.

A forum for all things cooking, food or snack related
paradoxbox

Post by paradoxbox »

I recently bought a small charcoal smoker and grill unit. Looking forward to trying it out this month.

What are your recipes or techniques? What kind of meat do you like to grill, sauces etc. Would love to hear it.

I recently found out while walking through a home-center that you can buy little bags of woodchips for use in smokers. Pretty cool, though rather expensive for the size of the bag you get (About 350 yen for less than a kilo of chips of something like cherry, a little more for imported woods like hickory or specialized stuff like old whiskey barrel chips).

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Who's got grills or smokers? Come on in.

Post by Zasso Nouka »

We've got a simple little charcoal grill for use in the summer, we mostly do vegetable skewers with some chicken so not very adventurous but would like to expand our repertoire and have been toying with the idea of either making or buying a smoker.

Did you buy a single multipurpose unit or two separate things ?

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

We use a Lotus grill so that we can BBQ all year round, even indoors.

http://lotusgrill.de/en/

Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan »

A friend gave me 5Kg. of wild boar last December, so I made a smoker and smoked it all that day.
I just dug a small firebox out and lined it with bricks. A small section of chimney pipe buried in a trench led to a very quickly assembled scrap wood box. I had some non-galvanized wire that I ran through to support some cheap BBQ mesh, and put lightly salted meat on it.
In the firebox, I burned just about any hardwood I had available. On top of that I laid some green twigs from the plum tree pruning for smoke. When the meat thermometer said 65C I took the meat into the house and baked it in my oven until it was done through.
Delicious. Tasted just like bacon.

************** found another pic****************
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

xxxxtom

Post by xxxxtom »

Gday
This is a pic of my new BBQ ,it's a gas cylinder cut in half. I have drilled 3 holes vertically to allow adjustment of the cooking height.
To be honest I struggle with charcoal I'm not used to it.
. More familiar with wood.
But for convenience I prefer gas .
Is that cheating to a BBQ purists?
Back in Australia I own a Weber Family Q gas powered you need to keep the lid down whilst cooking but it's good. I can cook a cake a hole leg of ham whatever you can even throw wood chips on top of the hot plate for that authentic BBQ flavour.
Is it cheating?
It's easy, quick and delicious.
Cheers
Attachments
IMG_20170423_172918911-640x360.jpg
IMG_20170423_172918911-640x360.jpg (69.19 KiB) Viewed 2477 times

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

This is my homemade BBQ table.
The inside bit is made from the same clay used for nabe.
The table is laminated pine for the top and 2x4 for the legs.
It is more for long and drawn out meals and cooks well with binchoutan charcoal (備長炭)

The lotus grill just uses a small amount (about 2 cups) of cheap charcoal and is almost completely smokeless so we can use it inside at the kitchen table if we want.
Senor Gonbe and I like to use it for steaks or sanma. It is quick and easy to use.

Insane

Post by Insane »

I've got a napoleon grill I got from costco last year, but the wife isn't up to inviting friends over for a barbecue considering covid, so it just sits out there.

Amusingly enough, my grill got revenge. The wife came home from work and saw this bulky black thing sitting in the yard, and thought it was a bear. :eek: The only time she's screamed louder was when she found a snake in the kitchen.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:37 am
I've got a napoleon grill I got from costco last year, but the wife isn't up to inviting friends over for a barbecue considering covid, so it just sits out there.
Hoping now Covid is subsiding that we can get our BBQ out again and have some friends over.
Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:37 am
Amusingly enough, my grill got revenge. The wife came home from work and saw this bulky black thing sitting in the yard, and thought it was a bear. :eek: The only time she's screamed louder was when she found a snake in the kitchen.
That's a classic :lol:

KumamotoHunter

Post by KumamotoHunter »

I have a classic Weber. I use it with a separate, cylindrical smoking tube, into which I pour different flavors of smoking pellets. Love it!

https://youtu.be/pNpYyJHZjDY

UeNSaVOr

Post by UeNSaVOr »

gonbechan wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 11:16 pm
The lotus grill
I bought one based on this post and some research. Used it for the first time today. It was wonderful. Thank you!