Home center recommendation

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Re: Home center recommendation

Post by gonbechan »

https://www.monotaro.com/g/00274734/?t.q=%92f%94M%8D%DE

I think this is what you are looking for.

Tora

Post by Tora »

gonbechan wrote:https://www.monotaro.com/g/00274734/?t.q=%92f%94M%8D%DE

I think this is what you are looking for.
Thanks Gonbechan. That's the kind of stuff I'll probably need for the floors.

poorsage

Post by poorsage »

Komeri by far. BUT, you need to know the system.
They will price match anyone else AND give an extra 10% off too.
(You may even be able to up to 6% get points as well if you have a Komeri point card, but I’m not 100% sure on that)
The 10% is definite though. It’s 10% off the competitors price too, not Komeri’s. The staff sometimes get it wrong.
I just find the cheapest price at their nearest competitor, or online via google, kakaku.com, amazon, yahoo shopping.
Type in the product code and you can always find someone cheaper sometimes significantly.
I just bought a 36v Makita brushcutter using the system.
Saved 10 to 15 thousand yen or so. I’m about to buy a bunch more stuff and have calculated about 5-10 thousand yen per tool I’m going to save.

poorsage

Post by poorsage »

Well, I should qualify, in Niigata they are the best, and I think it has to be a Power Komeri, not a regular Komeri, I think.

poorsage

Post by poorsage »

Tora wrote:
Zasso Nouka wrote:
I'd really love to find a way to order larger quantities of things like insulation with a corresponding discount ;) . My architect acquaintances tell me this is not possible although a remodel carpenter guy I know says "there are places" but you gotta be a member or "know a guy" or something like that. Andbody have advice or experience or advice on ordering in quantity? I guessing I'll need 100 or more sheets of styrofoam insulation for the floors and ceilings.
It was very easy to get a bulk discount at Komeri too.
I just went to the local Komeri and told them I wanted a bulk discount. The staff got the Lumber Manager, or “Mokuzai Tantou”. We then went round and I told him what I wanted and how much of each thing. He then went off and made up a quote for me, he discounted most things without any haggling on my part. I took that to the Supercenter Musashi Home Center who, previously refused any notion of a bulk discount, but they then beat the Komeri quote. I’m going to go back to Komeri and see if they’ll take off the 10% next.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Shizuman wrote:I think thats awesome, my missus can empathise!!
:lol:

Mrs Nouka really uses it for horseradish preparation. When she is processing it all the doors and windows of the cafe have to be wide open and if you walk past the cafe as she is grinding it up it's like being mace'd :lol:
Tora wrote: Thanks. Monotaro has a great selection but poor descriptions/details sometimes. Also, I think I know what I need but I often don't know the name in Japanese.... gotta love jargon.
Totally agree, they are only really useful if you already know exactly what you want.
Tora wrote:I guessing I'll need 100 or more sheets of styrofoam insulation for the floors and ceilings (half of which should be the more expensive pink stuff for the ceilings and underside of the roof where I took out the existing ceilings.
If your budget can stretch to it I suggest having a look at NeomaFoam, it is quite expensive but it is also very very good. We have around 100mm in our external walls and roof and it really does insulate well.
poorsage wrote:Well, I should qualify, in Niigata they are the best, and I think it has to be a Power Komeri, not a regular Komeri, I think.
:thumbup:

Power Komeri are awesome

Tora

Post by Tora »

poorsage wrote:Komeri by far. BUT, you need to know the system.
They will price match anyone else AND give an extra 10% off too.
(You may even be able to up to 6% get points as well if you have a Komeri point card, but I’m not 100% sure on that)
The 10% is definite though. It’s 10% off the competitors price too, not Komeri’s. The staff sometimes get it wrong.
I just find the cheapest price at their nearest competitor, or online via google, kakaku.com, amazon, yahoo shopping.
Type in the product code and you can always find someone cheaper sometimes significantly.
I just bought a 36v Makita brushcutter using the system.
Saved 10 to 15 thousand yen or so. I’m about to buy a bunch more stuff and have calculated about 5-10 thousand yen per tool I’m going to save.
THANK YOU for this info. No Power Komeri here but I'll see if it works at the smaller shops.

Tora

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tora wrote:I guessing I'll need 100 or more sheets of styrofoam insulation for the floors and ceilings (half of which should be the more expensive pink stuff for the ceilings and underside of the roof where I took out the existing ceilings.
If your budget can stretch to it I suggest having a look at NeomaFoam, it is quite expensive but it is also very very good. We have around 100mm in our external walls and roof and it really does insulate well.
Thanks. A local carpenter friend also recommended this for the vaulted ceilings (fukinuke). I didn't get a reason why. Is there a reason you chose the Neomafoam over fiberglass and the blue stuff?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:Thanks. A local carpenter friend also recommended this for the vaulted ceilings (fukinuke). I didn't get a reason why. Is there a reason you chose the Neomafoam over fiberglass and the blue stuff?
I'm not an expert on insulation but when we were discussing the insulation options with our house builder he said in his opinion it offered the best insulation values for the thickness when compared to other materials, you could offset that by doubling up on the thickness of other materials being used in your house. He also mentioned that in the long term fibre glass compacts over time slowly loosing a percentage of it's insulation properties and that although polystyrene sheets do insulate he felt neoma foam was better. There is more information comparing neoma foam here in the makers page

Characteristics of Neoma Foam

There are a couple of charts there comparing it to various other materials including rockwool, glasswool and some different polystyrene foams, it comes out on top in all of those charts.