Going to be in Japan at the end of the year

A forum for city folk
dayunbao

Going to be in Japan at the end of the year

Post by dayunbao »

I'm going to be in Japan from the last week of December through the first week of January. My girlfriend will be working the whole of my first week in Japan, so I'll have a lot of free time to make day trips. Any recommendations? Or people close enough to Tokyo to want to meet for dinner/coffee/a drink?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Going to be in Japan at the end of the year

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Just after new year you can get some pretty good deals at onsens if you are interested in making a trip and often in smaller Ryokan you can almost have the place to yourself.

dayunbao

Post by dayunbao »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:50 am
Just after new year you can get some pretty good deals at onsens if you are interested in making a trip and often in smaller Ryokan you can almost have the place to yourself.
My girlfriend and I are going to an onsen while I'm in Japan. That won't be until after the new year, since that's when she'll be on vacation. I think the onsen is in Chiba, but I need to double check.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

You should be able to get some good deals at that time of year.

Have a look at Kusatsu some time, although it's good at any time of the year winter is particularly good. There's something magical about sitting in an outside bath while it's snowing.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Kamakura and Enoshima are very close to each other so a day in that area would be enough. Might be cold by the coast though, but the views are worth it.

If you like old toys and other bits and bobs Nakano Broadway just north of Shinjuku might be worth a visit if you fancy just idly strolling from shop to shop. Only problem is it's getting more and more popular with tourists.
I picked up a Gameboy last time I was there as I was feeling a bit nostalgic for one.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

dayunbao

Post by dayunbao »

I was wrong about the location of the onsen we're going to. It's in Gunma. Not too far from Kusatsu. Unfortunately, we're going before the post-New Year price drop.

Kamakura is beautiful. My girlfriend and I went there the first time I was in Japan. It was during a national holiday, and was a sea of people. I still enjoyed it, though.

I recently bought a Wii because I wanted to play the Metroid Prime Trilogy. I tried emulating it, but the cheap 3rd party hardware wouldn't play nice with the emulator. I found a cheap Wii online, and a physical copy of the original Trilogy. So I bought both. I started with Metroid Prime 3, since I don't think I ever played that one. I've played the 1st game (pretty sure I finished it), and played a bunch of the 2nd game (don't think I finished that one, though). The Wiimote and nunchuck are janky. So maybe I'll buy new ones at Nakano during my visit.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

dayunbao wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:42 am
I was wrong about the location of the onsen we're going to. It's in Gunma. Not too far from Kusatsu. Unfortunately, we're going before the post-New Year price drop.
Hopefully you'll get some snow

Kamakura is beautiful. My girlfriend and I went there the first time I was in Japan. It was during a national holiday, and was a sea of people. I still enjoyed it, though.
dayunbao wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:42 am
I recently bought a Wii because I wanted to play the Metroid Prime Trilogy.
I still maintain the Wii is a great option for all inclusive family gaming. At new year when the whole family gets together we still get the Wii out as everyone can play the games and have fun, it's not just limited to teenagers with lightning quick reflexes.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:43 am
[

You have a girlfriend???????????????

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

gonbechan wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:12 am
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:43 am
[

You have a girlfriend???????????????
Dementia kicking in is it today ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

From his very first post
dayunbao wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:24 am
I'm a software engineer, and I lived in Asia for about 10 years before returning to my home country several years ago. I've never lived in Japan, but have visited a few times. My girlfriend is Japanese, and it's looking like we'll be moving to Japan within the next few years.
Mind you, since giving up drinking I've developed an almost supernatural memory :dance: so maybe shouldn't be too harsh :oops:

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Dementia kicked in donkey's years ago haha.

I think you aquired a girlfriend due to a misquote.. :lol: