gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Re: Adventures in Japanese Bee (Apis Cerana) Keeping

Post by gonbechan »

Wendy wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:46 am
Here is an interesting bee story

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/honey ... QuMIOhvea0.

through the snopes website originally produced by the New York Times.

Frass2k4

Post by Frass2k4 »

I have always been interested in beekeeping. But i live in an apartment in west tokyo near the mountains. So i was wondering if it was possible to use the mountains/forest. I am new to farming here in japan. In my country you only have to get permission from the local officer or forestry department not sure how it works in japan. Do i have to buy the property or lease or rent? Does anyone have any information. Heard people using rooftops and so on.

Any useful information would be great.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

In my city all you have to do is notify the local agricultural department as apparently folk are concerened that bees might poop all over their washing. Not sure how how that works out but apparently in Yokaichiba it's a thing.

Are you planning on keeping western or Japanese bees ?

Frass2k4

Post by Frass2k4 »

I would prefer western bees. But haven't decided. Which is more readily available, and whats the advantages of one over the other?
If anyone is willing i would like to meet up and see how they have done their beekeeping operation here in japan.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

You can buy a colony of western bees and if suzumebachi aren't a problem they will produce more honey. Japanese bees you generally have to capture yourself, sadly I still haven't managed to capture a colony yet :cry:.

If you prefer a hands off approach to beekeeping Japanese bees would be the ones to go for but you will get considerably less honey. I don't think one is inherently better than the other, different styles for different situations and conditions. In my situation surrounded by forest with plenty of suzumebachi it would take a lot of work to keep a colony of western bees protected so a Japanese bee colony would better suit that environment.

Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan »

I have heard of (but never actually seen) putting a Western beehive in a large (180x180cm) frame of small mesh woven wire/netting tight enough to keep out suzumebachi but large enough for the honeybees to crawl through. I am pretty sure they have to land on the net, crawl though, and then fly off.
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

Wendy

Adventures in Japanese Bee (Apis Cerana) Keeping

Post by Wendy »

Any updates/new recommendations to the Bee thread? I woke up with a start, thinking of bees. My husband has bee experience so hoping to capture a swarm of native bees but am thinking the more sure bet is buying a colony of European bees.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Still haven't managed to capture a swarm here but hoping that just maybe this year will be the one :pray:

Inakappe

Post by Inakappe »

Looks like everyone's bees (or lack of) have been keeping quiet :lol:

I'm in the same boat. I didn't get any Japanese honey bees moving into my hive this year unfortunately.
I did find and buy a Yellow Margin Orchid (キンリョウヘン - Cymbidium Floribundum) at a flower centre (about ¥4000) and put it next to my hive. It did attract some bees but not enough to start a family. I used it and a lure similtaneously.
Was just wondering if anyone else has experience with these orchids. The first frost has just come and gone here (in Gifu) so I'm moving to the entrance of the house. I will try to propogate the plant next year.
Any points or tips from anyone who has or has had them on anything to do with the plants out there?
Cheers.