Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

For anyone working outdoors

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:58 pm
I just discovered those wicking shirts sold at the home centers. They are like a real thin rash guard (shirt everyone wears at the pools in Japan. I hat the feel of the fabric but they are COOL!
Those speed dry shirts are a life saver at this time of year, you can sweat right through them without become a soggy mess.

Drinking a lot of super diluted sports drinks can also help with the mineral loss. We buy the sports drink powder and then make it up at about 1/4 the normal dilution and throw some sea salt in there to help with the minerals. You'll soon know if you aren't getting enough sodium when you wake up in the morning with painful cramps in your legs.

Tora

Post by Tora »

Shizuman wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:16 am
My wife gets super angry when i reach for the salt, keep telling her that i cant let my veins get all floppy but she seems to think im crazy! Now i can tell her that i need re hydration! Perfect!
I used to drink 6 liters or more of water a day at least when I was in the glass studio and still get dehydration/heat stroke. Then I started eating more salt and I felt better unless Imit was really hot. The downside is that once you get used to a certain level of saltyness, you can’t go back. I’ve even heard it labeled as addiction. If you eat a lot of salty foods or restaurant food, you may not actually need the extra salt. My wife often forgets to include salt in her cooking and goes on about how it doesn’t taste the same as usual but she “can eat it”. She also gets dehydration/heat stroke a lot more than me and I’m the one working hard in the heat. Go figure.

Tora

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:30 pm
Those speed dry shirts are a life saver at this time of year, you can sweat right through them without become a soggy mess.
It also works great as a cheap rash guard for surfing/water sports. 1/2-1/4 of the price of a name brand one too.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Frozen nashi slices or any other frozen sliced fruit is also pretty refreshing when you come in from the heat and if it's so hot you don't feel like eating anything then often a plate of frozen fruit is appealing.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama »

I use a wicking shirt and yesterday I got one of those fan vests. A bit pricey, but found they make a big difference in feeling cooler and reducing perspiration.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Ibaraki llama wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:15 am
I use a wicking shirt and yesterday I got one of those fan vests. A bit pricey, but found they make a big difference in feeling cooler and reducing perspiration.
I've been thinking about these jackets as you see more and more people wearing them. What type did you go for ? Long sleeve, short sleeve or vest type ? Did you go for one of the big name brands like Bartle or one from a smaller company ? I was looking at the Bartle ones but their battery is quite pricey, big capacity but not sure if it's worth the price.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:50 am
I've been thinking about these jackets as you see more and more people wearing them. What type did you go for ? Long sleeve, short sleeve or vest type ? Did you go for one of the big name brands like Bartle or one from a smaller company ? I was looking at the Bartle ones but their battery is quite pricey, big capacity but not sure if it's worth the price.
I was at the shop for an hour trying to decide which one to get out of Bartle, Makita, di-vaiz, and the one I eventually got, Cooling Wear. The bartle/air craft was quite a bit more expensive once you add in the charger to their 12v battery (though I’m sure a generic one would work). The cooling wear wasn’t cheap but it has the 12V battery. I got a di-vaiz vest - felt the vest for keeping the arms free as I’m doing a lot of painting and plastering.

Tora

Post by Tora »

I Was told the hood models are much nicer as they cool your neck and head as well.

I want one but I don’t think I could use it in the glass studio as flying embers and the occasional hot shard of glass would just make holes in it. I also hear that if you use them in hot places, they just blow hot air on you. I guess I hear lots of things. Except when my wife is angry....

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Tora wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:46 am
I Was told the hood models are much nicer as they cool your neck and head as well.

I want one but I don’t think I could use it in the glass studio as flying embers and the occasional hot shard of glass would just make holes in it. I also hear that if you use them in hot places, they just blow hot air on you. I guess I hear lots of things. Except when my wife is angry....
Senor Gonbe's company bought some for the older men working there, but they all say that using them inside a hot place just makes it worse, and none of them use them.

Using them outdoors, I reckon would be a different story.

Tora

Post by Tora »

gonbechan wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:49 am

Senor Gonbe's company bought some for the older men working there, but they all say that using them inside a hot place just makes it worse, and none of them use them.

Using them outdoors, I reckon would be a different story.
Thanks Gonbechan. That’s good to know. Working hard in this humidity is so draining!