Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

For anyone working outdoors

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Ibaraki llama wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:45 am
I was at the shop for an hour trying to decide which one to get out of Bartle, Makita, di-vaiz, and the one I eventually got, Cooling Wear. The bartle/air craft was quite a bit more expensive once you add in the charger to their 12v battery (though I’m sure a generic one would work). The cooling wear wasn’t cheap but it has the 12V battery. I got a di-vaiz vest - felt the vest for keeping the arms free as I’m doing a lot of painting and plastering.
Due to different connectors it looks like you have to pair batteries and fans of the same manufacturer but can you mix and match different makes of jackets and fans ?

My main problem is that after an hour or so's work outside clothes are drenched in sweat, do the jackets significantly reduce that ?

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:06 am

Due to different connectors it looks like you have to pair batteries and fans of the same manufacturer but can you mix and match different makes of jackets and fans ?

My main problem is that after an hour or so's work outside clothes are drenched in sweat, do the jackets significantly reduce that ?
It appears so - I was wondering this as well. I asked if the vest I wanted would go with the fans I was thinking of buying and the shop assistant said yes, but I didn’t ask if that was the case for all brands though it does look that way. So you could go cheaper on the jackets if you needed a few.

They do reduce sweat as the air from the fan puffs the jacket up, which acts as an insulation layer, and keeps the jacket material off your skin/undershirt.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Ibaraki llama wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:41 pm
It appears so - I was wondering this as well. I asked if the vest I wanted would go with the fans I was thinking of buying and the shop assistant said yes, but I didn’t ask if that was the case for all brands though it does look that way. So you could go cheaper on the jackets if you needed a few.

They do reduce sweat as the air from the fan puffs the jacket up, which acts as an insulation layer, and keeps the jacket material off your skin/undershirt.
Nice one man and thank you very much. The cool Wear fans look quite good as they are angled upwards so direct the air up inside the jackets rather than just at you.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

@Ibaraki llama, sorry for so many questions. Would you liken wearing one of these jackets to standing in front of a fan ? Is it more, less or about the same ? Sorry to be asking so many questions but trying to justify buying one to Mrs Nouka.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:12 pm
@Ibaraki llama, sorry for so many questions. Would you liken wearing one of these jackets to standing in front of a fan ? Is it more, less or about the same ? Sorry to be asking so many questions but trying to justify buying one to Mrs Nouka.
Ha ha, my wife looked a bit shocked when I told her the price (after I’d bought it...)

I’d say it’s the equivalent of a refreshing breeze. Sometimes I’ll be walking around in it and think that finally we’re getting a bit of a breeze coming through then realising it’s the jacket.

Putting it another way I forgot to charge the battery (that’s one hassle with it as it takes a couple of hours to do a full charge) yesterday so couldn’t wear it, and was drenched in sweat for the first time since I bought it.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Ibaraki llama wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:38 pm
Ha ha, my wife looked a bit shocked when I told her the price (after I’d bought it...)
Same for Mrs Nouka when I showed her the price, she was like "can't you just gaman through it till the weather cools down?"
Ibaraki llama wrote:
I’d say it’s the equivalent of a refreshing breeze. Sometimes I’ll be walking around in it and think that finally we’re getting a bit of a breeze coming through then realising it’s the jacket.
That's exactly what I'm after, thank you.
Ibaraki llama wrote:
Putting it another way I forgot to charge the battery (that’s one hassle with it as it takes a couple of hours to do a full charge) yesterday so couldn’t wear it, and was drenched in sweat for the first time since I bought it.
I'm like that after about 15 minutes of work right now, it's not comfortable at all to be working in clothes that are dripping wet.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Finally took the plunge and ordered a jacket after badly overheating the other day. Mrs Nouka said I looked quite ill and said to order one despite the cost. So thank you very much @Ibaraki llama for answering all my questions, it's really appreciated man.
Tora wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:46 am
I Was told the hood models are much nicer as they cool your neck and head as well.
Took your advice and ordered one with a hood, thank you :thumbup:

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama »

No worries, I probably should have got the hooded one too - our carpenter has the hooded sleeveless version. Let us know how it is!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Ibaraki llama wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:57 am
No worries, I probably should have got the hooded one too - our carpenter has the hooded sleeveless version. Let us know how it is!
I wanted the short sleeved hoodie as well but sadly there were no longer any of those in my size left in stock. Apparently they were snapped up pretty quickly. The hood seems to work quite well and there's a drawstring at the back that lets you adjust how much cool air is blown over the back of your neck and head or through the front and over your face. Having said that the sleeves do work well and keep your arms cool so maybe they are worth having.

Over all I agree with what you said about them providing a nice breeze blowing over you, yeah it still feels hot out there in the sun but you aren't left with sweat dripping from your clothing and you feel noticeably cooler. You can really notice the difference if you take it off for a few minutes, very quickly heating up and t-shirt soaked with perspiration.

What is really nice is every now and then go and slightly open up one of our big vegetable fridges and stand with your back to it, you get a blast of really cold air filling the jacket which feels lovely :lol:

A very good investment for anyone working outside and I now have to eat humble pie and admit I was wrong in this thread Fan jacket for hot weather. They really do work.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama »

Great to hear. You’re right about when taking it off the difference being noticeable. Again I forgot to charge mine overnight so yesterday only managed a half charge - batteries ran out and it felt like getting into a hot bath.

The sleeves sound like they’d be nice outside, especially with that hood. Which brand did you go for in the end?