Renting small plots of land

A place for properties in the countryside
VanillaEssence

Post by VanillaEssence »

Hey everyone. I’m wanting to experiment a bit with farming to see if it’s an avenue I’d like to continue down as a career. Next year I’m planning to take Japanese lessons 3 hours every weekday which leaves time in which I could do some farming. In particular I’m interested in mushroom farming or hydro/aquaponics but also market gardening. Because my Japanese is still only survival level I haven’t really been able to search but is it possible to rent small portions of land to do this in? I know there are some community gardens but they seem more targeted toward letting you grow a few daikon and spring onions and that’s about it. I do have a Japanese spouse that would be able to assist me a bit with registering or whatever. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction for doing this around the Tokyo (I’m in Kamakura but willing to travel a bit) area?

Thanks very much

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

Gday mate
Sounds awesome, I did the same thing this year!
(minus the Japanese lessons)
I started out by networking at a local language exchange and through that ended up with a 1/4 acre to grow veggies on and am currently getting judged to be a registered farmer. If you aren't keen on the community gardens, networking in your area is really helpful, i have had lots of offers to use land. I'm in Shizuoka so my city hall might be more or less forgiving on the whole use of agricultural land thing but its worth seeing if anyone can help you out. I did know a guy who lives in Kamakura who was keen on farming, ill see if i can dig out his contact, not sure if i still have it, He Said that in the area there are opportunities to set up markets, from memory. Good luck though.

On the community garden front, i started out with 10m x 5 meter plot and that gave me a really good sense of the work required before i went bigger. The place i was at charged about 5000yen per 5 x 5 plot per year. And the old guys and gals working the plot had great knowledge about the local climate etc.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I'll second @Shizuman's advice, ask around your local area. Renting a small spot of farmland should be fairly inexpensive, basically so long as you cover the land tax most folk will be fairly happy to rent a plot of unused land out.

You only need to be a registered farmer if you want to grow and sell produce on land zoned as agricultural land.

VanillaEssence

Post by VanillaEssence »

@Shizuman @Zasso Nouka

Thank you for the advice. I will try to do some networking and see what comes up. I've barely left my house since February so the idea of networking seems pretty foreign :lol: Very cool that you might be able to become a registered farmer through doing that Shizuman. Is that just a case of proving you are able to farm successfully on that land? There are some small fields around where I live including some rice fields right next to the city but everything is being utilised as far as I know. Definitely need to get out there more.

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

No worries mate!
From what i understand it varies from city to city the process to become a farmer, where I am its very relaxed in others i hear its stricter. I just applied to become a farmer in Yamanashi and they were very strict. I would be interested to know what kanagawa is like!

VanillaEssence

Post by VanillaEssence »

Once you’re a registered farmer you can buy and farm anywhere in Japan right?

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

On that, im not quite sure. I think what happens is you are registered in your city. I imagine it would make it easier. Probably someone else knows better than I though.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

VanillaEssence wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:47 pm
In theory yes, in practice................ It's a grey area :roll:

As for becoming a registered farmer, in theory you need to control around 1500 tsubo of farm land and then you can apply to be registered but the city council may add further restriction (like completing an agricultural course or apprenticeship) or Nougyou Inkai can just say no or sometimes JA may throw up objections or you might be swiftly inducted into the ranks of registered farmers.

VanillaEssence

Post by VanillaEssence »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:12 am
VanillaEssence wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:47 pm
In theory yes, in practice................ It's a grey area :roll:

As for becoming a registered farmer, in theory you need to control around 1500 tsubo of farm land and then you can apply to be registered but the city council may add further restriction (like completing an agricultural course or apprenticeship) or Nougyou Inkai can just say no or sometimes JA may throw up objections or you might be swiftly inducted into the ranks of registered farmers.
It’s no wonder agriculture is dying here. In Australia it’s just a case of buying land and then registering a business if you want to sell. I don’t have the heart to leave Japan tho :lol: It seems to me with farmland the proof is in the pudding whether you are capable of farming or not. With so much unused land you would think they’d ease up on restrictions. Maybe when these jiijiis all die off there will be change

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

I dunno mate, from what I have experienced recently change is a dirty word. Its sad, i spoke to a nougyou inkai last week and they were great, really helpful, but they also said that there are a lot of people looking at nice clean lines and labels on maps and not thinking about the reality of a piece of land. This is just off the cuff but it seems like the Ag coops have a lot of political sway so there is another reason not to change. I considered going back to Aus (Aussie aussie aussie) but the land prices in my neck of the woods are insane and water and fire being an issue its a tough gig.