Help identifynig this tree... please?

Shoot the breeze, chew the fat or whatever you fancy
Funasshi

Help identifynig this tree... please?

Postby Funasshi » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:30 pm

Hi all :)

Anyone who may recognize what tree this branch belongs to? I have tried leaf recognition apps and other things but they all say its cherry, which I don't think it is.
Please take a look and let me know if you have a guess. (I don't know how to attach pictures so I am linking to the picture from my blog the picture in the blog is much larger and you can zoom in to see the details. Sorry the attached one here seems to be small...)
Thanks beforehand

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Help identifynig this tree... please?

Postby Zasso Nouka » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:14 am

Hard to say from the leaves alone, can you post a picture of the main trunk with a closeup of the bark. An easy way to post pictures is to upload them to Tiny Pic and then copy and paste the link under "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" into your post.

Garden is looking good by the way, it's an uphill battles against the weeds from here on in. Have you pruned your sweetcorn down to 1 0r 2 cobs ? You can eat the others as baby corn.

Funasshi

Postby Funasshi » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:08 am

Thanks ZN,
I will use TinyPic to upload the trunk picture as soon as I take it (at the office now so...)
The trunk is shiny and smooth, bright brown (almost red) with horizontally elongated oval dark brown shapes on it.
No flowers, just these tentacle looking tiny things growing from the base of each leaf.

About the corns, yeah I will prune as soon as I get more than 2 cobs. Right now the biggest one has 2 tiny cobs only.
I am pretty proud of the garden so far, considering it was a lawn with terrible soil quality only a year ago I think it is already producing nice stuff for me. :dance:

Caleb Fuller

Postby Caleb Fuller » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:00 pm

It does SOUND like a cherry. It could be some type of ornamental variety. I take it you've never seen it flower or fruit?
Anyway, it will be easier to tell with a pic of the trunk, and maybe an overall shot of the tree too.

Funasshi

Postby Funasshi » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:55 am

Thanks for waiting.
OK, here is the picture of the whole tree (please ignore the blueberry and piman mess under it), and another picture of the trunk. It hasn't bloomed at all during the whole year so I wonder if it is cherry, then maybe it s still too young to bloom? :think:
BTW, If it is wild cherry, I read it is just ornamental and not really edible. Is that true?

Funasshi

Postby Funasshi » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:02 pm

Whoops, looks like tinypic auto-rotated my pictures... And when I rotate and upload again to compensate, it stops rotating them, so the result is an opposite rotation... silly auto-detect software, can't tell what is up or down.
Here is what I got when rotating and uploading... so please just tilt your head or download and rotate on your pc :geek: :

Caleb Fuller

Postby Caleb Fuller » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:34 pm

Almost certainly a cherry! As to the variety, that's a bit harder to identify from just a photo of leaf, without seeing the flower and fruit - at least for my own horticultural knowledge.
If it does fruit, all prunus species are edible, so don't worry. It's just that ornamental varieties are bred for showy flowers and not the amount or quality of their fruit. You could be lucky and it's a nice edible cultivar though.
Nice little food forest guild you've got going there, BTW. Good luck with it.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Postby Zasso Nouka » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:53 am

I agree with Caleb that it is some some of cherry. It should be large enough to flower by now. We have something vaguely similar growing wild in our bamboo forest but it never produces any visible flowers nor fruit.

Tinypic has fairly simplistic software and generally goes with whatever the exif tags say but does get confused with what some smartphones put into the exif tags when the phone is rotated and whether auto rotate is on or off. Generally GIMP does a fairly decent job of updating the exif tags when rotating a picture.

Funasshi

Postby Funasshi » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:15 am

Thanks both for your help.
I guess I'll give it another year or two, hopefully to get some flowers.
With luck it will be like the plum tree I have. Last year it gave absolutely no flowers or fruits, but this year suddenly the most delicious plums, albeit only a few made it all the way due to a bad case of plum pocket disease.... :doh:

Return to “General Chit Chat”